HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Texas (Group) » Texas House advances plan...

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:30 PM

Texas House advances plan to subsidize power plant weatherization

by Erin Douglas, Texas Tribune

A plan to help finance what will likely become mandatory power plant upgrades to withstand more extreme weather in the wake of the February power crisis received preliminary approval in the Texas House on Monday.

The failure of power plants to produce power during very cold temperatures was a major cause of the February power outages in Texas that left more than 4.8 million customers without electricity for days and caused more than 100 deaths. Natural gas plants shutting down or reducing electricity production due to cold weather was the most significant source of outages, according to an analysis by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which manages the grid that covers much of the state.

House members voted 126-18 in favor of a $2 billion program that would be created by House Bill 2000 by state Rep. Dan Huberty, R-Houston.

“We are looking forward to make sure these things don’t happen again,” Huberty said. “We can’t shut the Texas economy down by losing power and losing lives. That can never happen again.”

Read more: https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/03/texas-house-power-weatherization-fund/

2 replies, 463 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Texas House advances plan to subsidize power plant weatherization (Original post)
TexasTowelie Monday OP
walkingman Tuesday #1
AndyS Tuesday #2

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue May 4, 2021, 12:53 AM

1. Believe it when I see it. While they are at it, how about connecting the grid instead

of acting so damn stupid by playing like we are a independent country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue May 4, 2021, 01:03 PM

2. Typical. Texas Republicans are all about freedumb as long as they can charge us tax payers for it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying taxes but I'd like to have them spent for my benefit not for the benefit of for profit energy providers who should maintain their own equipment.

20 years de/no regulation has brought us 200 deaths and a $billion bill for the privilege of dying for corporate profit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread