HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Washington (Group) » Dozens of New Light Rail ...

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 08:33 AM

Dozens of New Light Rail Stations Are About to Open, and So Are My Legs

Despite the weirdness of this year, construction on light rail extension projects has continued at a solid clip and more trains, tracks, and stations are so close we can almost taste them. (Please do not attempt to actually taste them.) Over the next four years, Seattle will open 28 (!!!) new stations, some of them in less than a year, and they will completely transform the way you get around town.

In fact, they’ll transform the way you get around multiple towns, because the new tendrils of the Link extensions will spread across Seattle to the east side and down to Kent and Tacoma, like the tentacles of a giant sexy hentai monster. Please, please, no matter how tempting it may seem, do not attempt to lick the trains.

So, just how close are we to a transformed transit experience? I’m glad you asked—pull up a chair, brew a cup of coffee, and try to keep your tongue in your mouth as we do a little year-end roundup of Sound Transit’s most seductive construction projects.

First up is the Northgate Extension, and good God is it tantalizingly close: It opens in September of 2021, just in time for classes to begin. Three new stations (U District, Roosevelt, Northgate) will connect thousands of people and businesses that were previously too distant from rail to rely on train service. It’s going to be incredible to have fast access to the U District—there are so many great shops and venues up there that it’s hard to imagine an area better suited for light rail. Not to mention, everyone who lives and works around the school will have an 8-minute ride into the city, which means a flood of college kids shopping and playing and hanging out all over Seattle.

Read more: https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/11/27/52375763/dozens-of-new-light-rail-stations-are-about-to-open-and-so-are-my-legs

4 replies, 1060 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dozens of New Light Rail Stations Are About to Open, and So Are My Legs (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2020 OP
BlueTexasMan Dec 2020 #1
Trueblue Texan Dec 2020 #2
rownesheck Dec 2020 #4
AllaN01Bear Dec 2020 #3

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:58 AM

1. Austin expands also

Austin is getting it together also, recently passing a bond to expand their light rail system. I drove into town the other day and rode the train with a friend just to see what it was like. You could bring your bicycle in and hang it up in the bike storage area.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 09:59 AM

2. Why, oh WHY can't we have such a system in TEXAS?

Reply to this post

Response to Trueblue Texan (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 11:13 AM

4. Aren't they working

on the Houston/ Dallas bullet train? That should be fun. I agree, we need an actual rail system that connects all of this state, and we needed it 40 years ago.

My mom told me stories of driving from Port Arthur to El Paso (with my then infant older brother) to see my dad who was stationed there. Uh, no thank you. That had to be horrible.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 1, 2020, 10:28 AM

3. just because you said not to lick the trains , i wanna come up to seattle and do just that .:)

great that your transit system is expanding . anything better over busses and cars .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread