HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Wisconsin (Group) » Wisconsin: The new war o...

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 09:23 PM

Wisconsin: The new war on the poor

http://expressmilwaukee.com/article-21809-the-new-war-on-the-poor.html

The New War on the Poor

Gov. Scott Walker and Republican legislators are launching a brand-new war on the poor in Wisconsin under an absurd belief the poor may have too much money. The inequality of wealth in America right now is a growing political issue threatening our democracy, but no intelligent person seriously believes the problem is way too much money in the hands of poor people. Just last week, a major economic study concluded the income gap between the richest 1% and all the rest of us in this country is now larger than it has been since 1928, the year before the stock market crash led to the Great Depression.

Politicians like Walker created this new platinum-plated plutocracy with millions in tax giveaways to self-proclaimed job creators who donít bother to create any jobs and across-the-board percentage tax cuts that throw bulging bags of large-denomination bills to the wealthy and shiny coins at working people.

You know the problem. Public assistance programs benefit poor people. Republicans donít like poor people. Poor people just arenít as honest as rich people. Before receiving any help, poor people need to be investigated within an inch of their lives.

So did the newspaper find much real evidence of fraud? Well, no. Last year, it said, only about 400 applications for benefits out of 300,000 in Milwaukee County were referred for intensive fraud investigation. The blockbuster revelation: About half were ineligible for assistance. What that reporting leaves out, of course, is that the other half of those whose eligibility was questioned, in fact, did qualify for assistance. And 200 ineligible applications out of 300,000 is infinitesimalósix hundredths of a percent.

8 replies, 1768 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wisconsin: The new war on the poor (Original post)
Scuba Sep 2013 OP
Thinkingabout Sep 2013 #1
Lifelong Protester Sep 2013 #2
Thinkingabout Sep 2013 #3
ANOIS Sep 2013 #5
ewagner Sep 2013 #6
mojowork_n Sep 2013 #8
madrchsod Sep 2013 #4
Jackpine Radical Sep 2013 #7

Response to Scuba (Original post)

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 09:40 PM

1. Must be his fine christian upbringing or is it just he is an a$$hole. I tend to believe it is

The latter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Thinkingabout (Reply #1)

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 09:50 PM

2. Yeah, don't you remember the Bible story?

About the miracle of the loaves and fishes? Did you miss the part where Jesus or maybe it was one of the disciples, who said, 'first, you must pee in this cup' and 'then, you must spend some hours of community service' or NO FISH OR BREAD FOR YOU.

Yeah, I missed it too.

Reply to this post

Response to Lifelong Protester (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 09:53 PM

3. From his results he attended Hate School instead of the Sunday School I attended.

Reply to this post

Response to Thinkingabout (Reply #3)

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 11:54 PM

5. And his father

is/was a minister.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 20, 2013, 06:55 AM

6. geee

I think I missed that part....

oh wait...

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 24, 2013, 09:55 PM

8. That's it in a nutshell, GREAT comment.

But John Calvin and who knows how many other (well-motivated?) "Christians" just want to be able to judge others.

Instead of doing the really spiritual thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Original post)

Thu Sep 19, 2013, 10:26 PM

4. is`t there a lot of poor people all across wisconsin?

if wisconsin is like most states, there are poor people across the state who will be effected by this. will they speak out against walker by voting him out? or will they just say it does`t matter who we vote for because they are all a bunch of liars?

seems there`s a lot of work to do across wisconsin,in my state,and across the country. the most important election year that i can remember is 2014. if we do not regain the house and keep the senate i have a really bad feeling about the future.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #4)

Fri Sep 20, 2013, 11:44 AM

7. I second that.

I think that the real provblem is getting the poor to the polls, especially in the rural areas of the state. Learned helplessness/hopelessness is a real phenomenon, and a tough one to fight.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread