HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Canada (Group) » Canada votes against UN r...

Tue Nov 25, 2014, 03:32 PM

Canada votes against UN resolution condemning glorification of Nazism

Along with BFF USofA and our latest infatuation, Ukraine.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djclimenhaga/2014/11/wtf-canada-votes-against-un-resolution-condemning-glorification-

I think Stephen Lewis was dead-on when he described the current government as “pre-paleolithic Neanderthals” and Harper as being driven by malevolence.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/23/stephen_lewis_roars_once_more_in_takedown_of_stephen_harper_government_tim_harper.html

4 replies, 2077 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Canada votes against UN resolution condemning glorification of Nazism (Original post)
alcina Nov 2014 OP
Spazito Nov 2014 #1
alcina Nov 2014 #2
Spazito Nov 2014 #3
PeoViejo Nov 2014 #4

Response to alcina (Original post)

Tue Nov 25, 2014, 03:42 PM

1. I agree with Stephen Lewis, someone I feel very fortunate to have met...

"I think Stephen Lewis was dead-on when he described the current government as “pre-paleolithic Neanderthals” and Harper as being driven by malevolence."

As to the vote against the UN resolution, due to the wording, had they supported the resolution, it would have been contrary to Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1355931062024/1355931133880

Many of the Harper government's votes in the UN are disgusting and 'malevolent', this one was not of that ilk, imo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Spazito (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 25, 2014, 04:02 PM

2. Thank you for the clarification

I had not realized that about the CCRF. However, if that was the true motivation, they could have simply abstained. The fact that Canada chose to vote in solidarity with the US and Ukraine sends a very different message.

And how wonderful for you to have met Stephen Lewis. Definitely one of the great minds of modern Canada! Under what circumstances did you meet, if I may ask?

Reply to this post

Response to alcina (Reply #2)

Tue Nov 25, 2014, 04:15 PM

3. An environmental group I belonged to brought him in as a guest speaker...

As one of the board members, I was responsible for the communications between Ambassador Lewis and the Board and, subsequently, had to opportunity to speak with him at length. I came away having even more respect for him, if possible, than before the event.

Reply to this post

Response to alcina (Original post)

Tue Nov 25, 2014, 04:57 PM

4. Must be all those Immigrants in Alberta

They were probably mad the NDP would take away their Holiday.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread