HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Offbeat » Weird News (Group) » Dangerous Idiot Sleeps Wh...

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:33 PM

Dangerous Idiot Sleeps While Driving His Tesla on Autopilot

https://jalopnik.com/dangerous-idiot-sleeps-while-driving-his-tesla-on-autop-1832130316

Is this for real?...So I put it up in Weird News..You decide on this one...I never heard of the website............................ jalopnik.com..... but that doesn't mean a thing.. You decide if this is real or a fake.

Here is the story, and there are pictures at the link above...you be the judge....
__________________________________________________________________________________
Hey, who likes riddles? Here’s one! What’s the difference between KITT from Knight Rider’s self-driving system and a Tesla on Autopilot? The answer? Nothing! They’re both fucking fictional when it comes to being fully self-driving and if you sleep in your Autopilot-mode Tesla you’re an idiot endangering everyone around you. Also, only one could be used while David Hasselhoff enjoyed a cheeseburger. With this in mind, this video of a guy sleeping at the wheel of his Tesla Model X should be even more infuriating.

This was shot by a reader who’d prefer to remain anonymous, on the road back from Las Vegas. Thanks to the slo-mo video, you can see that this guy in his Model X is quite clearly and lavishly asleep.

I am not sure how he’s defeated the many warnings that come on if the system doesn’t detect a hand on the steering wheel; perhaps his hand is resting there, or maybe he has one of these terrible things, or maybe just an orange.

No matter how he’s tricking the system into thinking there’s an awake and alert human behind the wheel, it doesn’t really matter. This is deeply and richly stupid.

Of course, Tesla absolutely does not want anyone doing this with Autopilot, under any circumstances. They have very specific safeguards to prevent this kind of dumbassery, and while, sure, a car without autopilot would have likely crashed much sooner, this is still a terrible idea.

4 replies, 696 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dangerous Idiot Sleeps While Driving His Tesla on Autopilot (Original post)
Stuart G Jan 2019 OP
Aristus Jan 2019 #1
Renew Deal Jan 2019 #2
OhZone Jan 2019 #3
Javaman Jan 2019 #4

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 08:42 PM

1. Urban myths regarding "Driver Thinks Cruise-Control Is An Automatic Pilot - Disaster Results" have

been around forever.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 09:07 PM

2. What's the point of having a self driving car if you can't nod off?

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2019, 10:06 PM

3. I would never get into a self driving car -

One glitch or a hack and you're dead.

Also, I'm a chick who loves to be in control.

Manual transmission car - or I used to have a fatboy. I miss it.

((Well, like to be out of control in a lot of personal situations, but that's another story! ))

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2019, 11:19 AM

4. I use the bus and the same effect. LOL

it self drives (by someone else) and I can nod off while it's moving. imagine that! LOL

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread