HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Politics & Government » Congress (Group) » Conservative Takes Former...

Thu Jun 9, 2016, 05:16 PM

Conservative Takes Former Speaker Boehner's House Seat

Source: Associated Press

Conservative Takes Former Speaker Boehner's House Seat

By ALAN FRAM, ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON Jun 9, 2016, 4:27 PM ET

Republican Warren Davidson was sworn into the House on Wednesday to take former House Speaker John Boehner's long-held seat, elected with the backing of the same conservatives who helped drive Boehner from Congress.

Davidson, 46, a former Army Ranger and businessman, became a cause celebre for conservative groups who craved the symbolic triumph of capturing Boehner's old district in southeastern Ohio.

Boehner served 25 years in Congress and became speaker after Republicans won House control in the 2010 elections. He quickly won the enmity of tea party conservatives elected that same year and outside conservative organizations, who said he was too willing to broker compromises with President Barack Obama.

In brief House floor remarks after taking the oath of office, Davidson suggested that lawmakers are well positioned to take a dominant role in their perennial struggle against the White House.

[font size=1]-snip-[/font]

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/conservative-takes-speaker-boehners-house-seat-39734254

2 replies, 729 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Conservative Takes Former Speaker Boehner's House Seat (Original post)
Eugene Jun 2016 OP
tonyt53 Jun 2016 #1
yeoman6987 Jun 2016 #2

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Thu Jun 9, 2016, 05:22 PM

1. It has been a gerrymandered district for years. The 2020 census will change that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tonyt53 (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 9, 2016, 05:27 PM

2. Hopefully.

I don't count on anything anymore. We will be going into 2020 with our fourth democratic presidential election in a row most likely. I hope voters keep going with the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread