HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Politics & Government » Congress (Group) » Recognizing a dying GOP ....

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 03:07 PM

Recognizing a dying GOP . . .

Even within the party, it's being recognized that the chickens are coming home to roost.

A Republican intellectual explains why the Republican Party is going to die

CLEVELAND — Avik Roy is a Republican’s Republican. A health care wonk and editor at Forbes, he has worked for three Republican presidential hopefuls — Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio. Much of his adult life has been dedicated to advancing the Republican Party and conservative ideals.

But when I caught up with Roy at a bar just outside the Republican convention, he said something I’ve never heard from an establishment conservative before: The Grand Old Party is going to die.

“I don’t think the Republican Party and the conservative movement are capable of reforming themselves in an incremental and gradual way,” he said. “There’s going to be a disruption.”

Roy isn’t happy about this: He believes it means the Democrats will dominate national American politics for some time. But he also believes the Republican Party has lost its right to govern, because it is driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.

9 replies, 1345 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to citizen blues (Original post)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 03:18 PM

1. They're always the last to know

Nixon's southern strategy; welfare queen myth pusher St. Reagan kicked off his 1980 presidential campaign at the Neshoba County Fair; Lee Atwater/Willie Horton...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 03:25 PM

2. The dinosaurs had no clue either before their extinction. eom

Reply to this post

Response to guillaumeb (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:15 PM

5. I thought they got the email from WikiLeaks.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 03:39 PM

3. IOW, they made deals with devils in order to grab power

and now the devils have taken over. It was the same story with the Federalists and the Whigs.

The Republicans will sputter on for decades as a regional party, especially in the south and parts of the west, but stick a fork in them, their policies have been tried and have failed and they have no other ideas. They're done, even without all the devils.

What remains to be seen is what will take their place. Likely a whole collection of splinter parties will absorb the devils for a while, but eventually a new Hamiltonian party will form, probably on the ashes of one of the progressive splinter parties after their one or two major issues are dealt with. This is how it has happened in the past.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:08 PM

4. Well they have not offered anything new in over 30 years. Yet the country con't to change.

Looks like death by natural causes to me.

Reply to this post

Response to MichiganVote (Reply #4)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:16 PM

6. Is suicide a natural cause?

Reply to this post

Response to Koinos (Reply #6)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:23 PM

7. Well we see their actions as political suicidal. They obviously don't. DT sure doesn't.

But then nobody really knows what he is. He sure as hell isn't normal, that much we can assume.

Reply to this post

Response to MichiganVote (Reply #7)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:29 PM

8. Is accidental suicide a thing? Is it covered by insurance?

The Republican party is the original inspiration for "The Darwin Awards."

Reply to this post

Response to Koinos (Reply #8)

Sun Jul 31, 2016, 04:35 PM

9. The so called leadership of the GOP have known exactly what they have done and are doing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread