HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Politics & Government » Congress (Group) » House passes bill cutting...

Thu Jan 30, 2014, 06:09 AM

House passes bill cutting $8 billion from ‘food stamps’ program (xpost from Poverty)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/29/house-passes-bill-cutting-8-billion-from-food-stamps-program/

House passes bill cutting $8 billion from ‘food stamps’ program
By Agence France-Presse
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 17:46 EST

The US House approved a five-year, nearly $1 trillion farm bill Wednesday reforming the federal government’s crop subsidy system but cutting food stamps to pare the deficit.

The mammoth bill, which has been some three years in the making and endured more than one collapse in negotiations in 2013, enjoyed bipartisan support in passing 251-166.

It now heads to the Senate where it could be voted on as early as Friday. It is expected to pass.

The White House said Wednesday that President Barack Obama would sign the 959-page bill should it reach his desk.

1 replies, 1028 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply House passes bill cutting $8 billion from ‘food stamps’ program (xpost from Poverty) (Original post)
unhappycamper Jan 2014 OP
customerserviceguy Jan 2014 #1

Response to unhappycamper (Original post)

Thu Jan 30, 2014, 07:19 AM

1. Are there any cuts

other than the so-called "heat and eat" thing that I've heard about? The fix for that one is easy, the states can give $20 in utility assistance instead of a measly buck. I'm sure they spend at least $100 in bureaucratic paperwork just to give that family the lousy dollar, find a way to cut some of that cost, and you can dig up a double sawbuck to skirt the rules for five more years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread