HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Two more FL Republican st...

Sun Apr 5, 2015, 01:06 AM

Two more FL Republican state senators speak strongly against overtesting. Kudos to them.

Arne Duncan needs to start sounding like this.

They are honest about their mistakes, and I appreciate that. Does that mean I trust our FL Republicans? No, not really.

But they are on the right track about the testing problems.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10026461262

1 replies, 1236 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Two more FL Republican state senators speak strongly against overtesting. Kudos to them. (Original post)
madfloridian Apr 2015 OP
SheilaT Apr 2015 #1

Response to madfloridian (Original post)

Sun Apr 5, 2015, 01:22 AM

1. What I think I learned form going to school in the

1950's and 60's, and then having sons in school in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, is that teaching lots of content is the way to go. Lots. You (meaning the teachers) probably have to make some adjustments, depending on your particular students, but lots of content is the way to go.

Among the things that makes me so crazy about all this high-stakes testing, is that most of these tests have not been validated in any way, shape, or form. Someone simply devised the tests and that was it.

Lots of appropriate tests had already been out there, and so if we wanted to test the kids more there were plenty of good tests to use. Instead, we've seen this idiotic growth of the testing industry, with almost no experience and no true understanding of the standards they need to meet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread