HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Nevada Will Pay Parents $...

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 05:59 PM

Nevada Will Pay Parents $5K Per Kid They Take Out of Public School

Nevada might have the worst public school system in the country, but a new policy could radically change that.

The state’s treasurer will pay parents at least $5,000 for each one of their children they move from a public school (including charters) to a private one. The program is expected to be get going in January 2016.

The program was part of a bill passed into law just last month. Parents will be able to take the educational funding that would’ve gone to their public school and spend it on private school, tutoring and homeschooling.

The bill passed on party lines and was signed by a Republican governor. Opponents cried that public education would lose funding, but in fact federal funding will remain the same, meaning more money spent per child remaining in public school.

Read the full story at: http://www.voicesofliberty.com/article/nevada-will-pay-parents-5k-per-kid-they-take-out-of-public-school/

9 replies, 1656 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nevada Will Pay Parents $5K Per Kid They Take Out of Public School (Original post)
theaocp Jun 2015 OP
daleanime Jun 2015 #1
Starry Messenger Jun 2015 #2
shenmue Jun 2015 #4
Starry Messenger Jun 2015 #7
shenmue Jun 2015 #8
randys1 Jun 2015 #3
Wellstone ruled Jun 2015 #5
Human101948 Jun 2015 #6
enlightenment Jun 2015 #9

Response to theaocp (Original post)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:03 PM

1. And some people....

think this is a good idea?

I guess we really do need to improve our education system.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:04 PM

2. Isn't that basically a voucher system?

Ugh.

Reply to this post

Response to Starry Messenger (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:08 PM

4. Yep

Reply to this post

Response to shenmue (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:16 PM

7. That dodge about federal money meaning more

per kid is ridiculous. This is one of the worst things about education reform is that it monetized the kids.

Everyone knows the education per child is not the amount quoted per kid. It is pooled and is apportioned by need. If thousands of dollars leave the school, the remaining pot will be spread more thinly over, I am sure, the higher needs kids who will be left in the public schools.

Reply to this post

Response to Starry Messenger (Reply #7)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:17 PM

8. Yep

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:07 PM

3. People need to be willing to tax corps and rich people the way we did for 50 years before

Reagan came along and fucked everything up.

Fixes everything

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:09 PM

5. And the beat goes on.

BTW,this includes HomeSchoolers. What we are seeing is what happens when the TeaBillies take control of your State Legislature. Our graduation rate is only 75% and that is on a good year. This is how you Legislate Poverty and Racism. Las Vegas Schools are about to be divided into 8 new districts and rest assured they will be set up by economic and racial neighborhoods.

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:14 PM

6. I am going to move to Las Vegas and adopt twenty kids...

That's a sweet $100,000 for me. The kids can be homeschooled by making them assemble products with their tiny fingers. If they complain I can beat them with a stick and claim that it's because of the biblical admonition to not spare the rod. Jesus is my saviour!

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 25, 2015, 06:54 PM

9. My favorite comment was this one

from Governor GrinsTooMuch - "“This is the education session,” Sandoval said. “Every child in the state will be touched.”"

True enough. Some will be touched in ways that are far from beneficial.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/leg-edu/governor-signs-education-bills-declares-state-the-bottom-no-more#sthash.KtcDV2WU.dpuf

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread