HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » ("drown the bunnies") The...

Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:51 PM

("drown the bunnies") The Latest: Faculty Asks University's President to Resign

Source: Associated Press

The Latest: Faculty Asks University's President to Resign

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Feb 12, 2016, 7:31 PM ET

The Latest on the turmoil at Mount St. Mary's University after an uproar over the president's plan to identify freshmen most likely to fail and offer them tuition refunds:

7:20 p.m.

Faculty members of Mount St. Mary's University have voted overwhelmingly to ask the school's president to resign by Monday morning.

They announced the 87-to-3 vote Friday evening despite President Simon Newman's afternoon announcement that he was reinstating two faculty members he had fired amid an uproar over his plan to identify freshmen most likely to fail and offer them tuition refunds.

The faculty members were fired and the school's provost was demoted after a Board of Trustees investigation into the student newspaper's report that Newman had likened struggling freshman to baby rabbits that should be killed.

The letter to Newman says the negative public attention has interfered with their ability to continue in their work and to attract new students and teachers.

[font size=1]-snip-[/font]

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/latest-faculty-asks-universitys-president-resign-36907860

1 replies, 1336 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply ("drown the bunnies") The Latest: Faculty Asks University's President to Resign (Original post)
Eugene Feb 2016 OP
davidpdx Feb 2016 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Feb 19, 2016, 08:42 AM

1. The guy is a tool

Unfortunately that is the way it works sometimes with university presidents. The current president of my alma mater is not very great. I found out one of my former professors was let go due to a dispute with the university. Honestly I believe him over the jackass administration. I get fundraising letters and send them back with a note that I won't donate again until he's gone.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread