HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Another Great Day Today a...

Tue Mar 13, 2012, 10:47 PM

Another Great Day Today at School: Students and Staff Created a Big Surprise...

So I walked into the larger office, always the first one in, and my conference table chairs were all grouped around my office door.

I figured it was careless janitorial people after vacuuming the floor, but then I opened the door and there was what turned out to be four or five containers of shredded colored paper and other goodies and balloons in honor of my birthday coming up.

I would have expected it on Thursday but not two days early. And what's awesome is that it was student inspired-- one of the kids has to be out of town Thursday and I'm at a conference tomorrow, so today had to be the day for cake, brownies, and happy birthday.

We are all blessed by the the people we get to work with, and my students inspire me every day.

I swear, I learn more from them much of the time than they do from me, and what I do that seems to work is to allow them to be participants in their own destiny.

I listen, and my teachers listen, and our kids continue to impress. I would love to invite all of DU to my school one day.

13 replies, 2703 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Another Great Day Today at School: Students and Staff Created a Big Surprise... (Original post)
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 OP
elleng Mar 2012 #1
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #2
dballance Mar 2012 #3
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #6
demtenjeep Mar 2012 #4
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #5
proud2BlibKansan Mar 2012 #7
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #8
proud2BlibKansan Mar 2012 #10
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #11
proud2BlibKansan Mar 2012 #12
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #13
NYC_SKP Mar 2012 #9

Response to NYC_SKP (Original post)

Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:00 PM

1. WONDERFUL NEWS, SKP!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

2 groups!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:11 PM

2. Thanks, elleng!

And it's still two days out!

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 13, 2012, 11:59 PM

3. Happy Birthday!

My ex, who I still love like no one else is a principal. He has made a difference in the lives of so many children.

He never just assumed the kids were "bad." He always sits down with kids and tries to find out what is really going on. Behavior has a cause. Sure, there are some sociopaths but they are rare. It is much more often that there is just a kid with maybe some problems at home or some problems with other kids bullying them at school. They just need to know there is someone who loves them and they have a safe place to go.

My ex is spectacular at providing them both. In addition, my ex has raised the standard test scores by over %20.

So don't tell me you cannot be human and also help kids learn.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:16 PM

6. Thanks, and great comment!

"So don't tell me you cannot be human and also help kids learn."

Indeed, you have to reach deeply and access your humanity to be a great teacher. Many cannot.

Congratulations and thanks to your ex!

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 05:49 PM

4. what do you teach?

I could not imagine doing anything else. I teach all the Social Studies subjects plus Music and Financial LIteracy. I could not imagine doing anything else

Reply to this post

Response to demtenjeep (Reply #4)

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #5)

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 06:31 PM

7. You post about your students on Facebook?

Is that what you are saying?

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #7)

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #8)

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:44 PM

10. They passed a law here last year making that illegal

Then the governor convened a special legislative session where the law was thrown out. But it did prompt much discussion.

Personally I find it entirely too easy to violate privacy so I wouldn't post anything about a student on Facebook. I'm not opposed to setting up private groups for use in class. Yes I know you can do that on Facebook but at this time, especially due to the recent legal controversy here, I'd rather not use Facebook.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #10)

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #11)

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 08:29 PM

12. That's not what it's about here

We are a very advanced district in terms of technology. My school has received several technology grants from USDE. We were the first school in the district and one of the first in the area to have smart boards, iPads and student iPods.

No one is afraid of or resistant to technology. Our teachers train teachers in neighboring districts on using technology in their classrooms. Several of our schools are participating in studies examining the use of technology in classrooms.

Our concern, as I thought I had clearly stated in my previous post, is about privacy and legal issues surrounding contact with students online. As I said, the backasswards legislators in this state tried to make online contact between teacher and student illegal. That has put somewhat of a hitch in much of what we'd like to do online.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #12)

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #7)

Wed Mar 14, 2012, 07:41 PM

9. You should watch this TED talk.

You've probably seen it before, but it speaks a bit to technology, smart phones in the classroom for example.

We allow them in class, we use them in lessons and students who don't have them are given an iPad2 to use.

Sometimes they even get to take them home!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread