HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » College textbook merger r...

Wed Mar 11, 2020, 10:05 AM

College textbook merger raises 'serious concern' among U.S. lawmakers

Source: Reuters

BUSINESS NEWS MARCH 10, 2020 / 5:06 PM / UPDATED 12 HOURS AGO

College textbook merger raises 'serious concern' among U.S. lawmakers

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. lawmakers expressed serious concern on Tuesday about the effect of a planned merger of college textbook publishers Cengage Learning Holdings II and McGraw-Hill Education Inc, saying the deal would create a new industry leader with nearly half the market.

Representatives David Cicilline, chair of the House Judiciary Committee’s antitrust panel, and Jan Schakowsky, chair of an Energy and Commerce consumer protection panel, urged the Justice Department to scrutinize the merger to ensure it is legal under antitrust law.

In the letter, Cicilline and Schakowsky noted how few college textbook makers were left in the market and that prices had risen 184% since 1998.

“It has also been reported that the merging companies are working to convert the market to all-digital course materials through an ‘inclusive access’ model, in which students are automatically billed for subscription access to textbooks,” the lawmakers wrote.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mcgrawhill-m-a-cengage/college-textbook-merger-raises-serious-concern-among-u-s-lawmakers-idUSKBN20X31R

3 replies, 1027 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply College textbook merger raises 'serious concern' among U.S. lawmakers (Original post)
Eugene Mar 2020 OP
Throck Mar 2020 #1
mindem Mar 2020 #2
Kelayera Mar 2020 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Wed Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 AM

1. Something else to screw people for on higher education.

I remember I had a college professor who said screw it and just copied the pertinent text book material and just handed it out. Copyright be damned was his attitude, text books cost too damn much. What pissed him off even more was the minor revisions the printers made so as to make a prior edition unsalable in the used book market.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 11, 2020, 11:04 AM

2. I always went for the used text books

and made sure I got the ones that had all of the highlighting done already. I saved myself a lot of money and work.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 10:58 AM

3. Thank you

Last edited Wed Jul 15, 2020, 05:51 AM - Edit history (3)

Thank you for such a valuable information. If you need help in your research work, I suggest paying attention to the essay writing service https://edubirdie.com/write-my-essay , read the information, reviews and think, maybe this may come in handy. I myself have repeatedly used such services, especially when I did not have time with the deadline.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread