HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » The Battle Over Dyslexia

Fri Sep 18, 2020, 06:52 PM

The Battle Over Dyslexia

Interesting article. It starts by suggesting that some people in the UK think dyslexia may not exist, but the real point seems to be that it is less likely to be diagnosed in families with lower incomes, thus creating a haves vs. have-nots system for children who struggle to learn how to read.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/sep/17/battle-over-dyslexia-warwickshire-staffordshire?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

2 replies, 451 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Battle Over Dyslexia (Original post)
Clash City Rocker Sep 18 OP
appalachiablue Sep 18 #1
Lord Ludd Sep 18 #2

Response to Clash City Rocker (Original post)

Fri Sep 18, 2020, 07:23 PM

1. Somebody is a jolly, the longest Guardian

article I've ever read, and there have been many. Topic, dyslexia, Lol. The irony.

Plenty of worthwhile points are made, esp. about differences in definitions and degrees of reading difficulties. Thanks for posting this one. Many of the sharpest and brightest people I've ever known, in various fields are not avid readers. OTOH, two of the most dishonest, non empathic people I've been with are heavy readers and highly literate.
____
> (snip). But in the 80s, research started coming out which suggested that your IQ had no bearing on your ability to read or write. (One of the first critiques of the discrepancy model was published in 1980, and further papers debunking the model were published throughout the 90s.) Intelligence and reading ability weren’t connected, meaning that dyslexia could no longer be defined as a condition that affected only bright children who struggled to read. Anyone, with any level of intelligence, could be dyslexic.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/sep/17/battle-over-dyslexia-warwickshire-staffordshire?CMP=oth_b-aplnews_d-1

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Clash City Rocker (Original post)

Fri Sep 18, 2020, 10:17 PM

2. I had dylsexia when I was a kid, but not anyrome

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread