HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Summer of resistance -- o...

Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:43 AM

Summer of resistance -- or retreat?

Substance news (chicago ed blog) notes that weingarten was present at the chicago teachers' union rally, talking about inequality & the 1%, banksters, blah blah blah --

But less than three weeks later she's praising rahm & the 1%:

"Whether it's the mayor's infrastructure program here in Chicago, or eventually everything else we're doing around the country, is that when labor and business start working good together on trying to put people back to work with good jobs, when we start building things, it builds hope around the country," Weingarten said. ABC News, which quoted her above, reported that "Mayor Emanuel is in a love fest with the American Federation of Teachers today."

Par for the course...but I thought a comment in response was interesting:

Summer of resistance or retreats

As the unionites and labor bosses try desperately to be sure there is no real struggle in the schools this year (but a lot of fake struggle) parts of the rank and file are, at last, beginning to rise up. Chicago is clearly in the lead, while Detroit's Fed of Teacher is in a state of near collapse.

UTLA will probably ratify a concession contract and their misleaders are busy deflecting a small but rightfully angry insurgent movement in the union.

San Diego EA just shoved aside a mainstream leader, Camille Zombro, replaced her with a president who ran on a no concessions platform and, this week, began to set the members up for concessions.

Both NEA and AFT have national conventions this year. It will be interesting, at least, to see the yellow rats who run the unions try to divert attention from Obama, his wars and bailouts, to Duncan alone, and perhaps a whine about high-stakes exams. Great article Jim and thanks!

Sounds like duncan might be dumped as a sacrificial lamb in an attempt to pacify the peons and head off rank & file attempts to follow chicago's lead. And then someone equally horrible will be hired.

http://www.substancenews.net/articles.php?page=3328§ion=Article

4 replies, 1955 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Summer of resistance -- or retreat? (Original post)
HiPointDem Jun 2012 OP
mopinko Jun 2012 #1
proud2BlibKansan Jun 2012 #2
HiPointDem Jun 2012 #3
proud2BlibKansan Jun 2012 #4

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Jun 11, 2012, 06:57 AM

1. i am told that the ctu strike vote

should be easily 70%. but i can tell you that everyone wants a peaceful and equitable settlement.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Jun 11, 2012, 08:42 AM

2. George hates Randy

It borders on silly, IMO. I'm not a huge fan of Randi but sometimes she is correct. We have to actually sit at the table to negotiate. Constant pushback is not negotiation. And yes, labor and business need to come together to put people back to work. Randi is correct on that point.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 11, 2012, 01:07 PM

3. I have seen constant concession, not constant pushback. That's the context.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 11, 2012, 01:16 PM

4. I'm not going to defend Randi.

I just happen to agree with her on this ONE point.

The negotiating team for my local is right now at this moment sitting at a table across from district reps negotiating our contract. We haven't had a raise in 5 years. I'd love to go down there with a sign and picket the district offices along with a couple hundred of my co-workers demanding a raise in pay. BUT the likelihood of that raise is better when we sit at the table and negotiate.

That being said, if the negotiations don't result in a raise, then yes, we probably need to push back. I enthusiastically support what the teachers in Chicago are doing to push back. But they are way past the negotiation stage.

Randi is also getting plenty of pushback from her members. The convention in just over a month should be VERY interesting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread