HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » Music helps kids LEARN!

Fri Apr 5, 2013, 05:27 PM

Music helps kids LEARN!

6 replies, 2168 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Music helps kids LEARN! (Original post)
elleng Apr 2013 OP
MADem Apr 2013 #1
elleng Apr 2013 #2
LWolf Apr 2013 #3
Igel Apr 2013 #4
elleng Apr 2013 #5
CRK7376 Apr 2013 #6

Response to elleng (Original post)

Fri Apr 5, 2013, 05:30 PM

1. Yes--so does art. Physical Education/dance, any sort of movement, too. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MADem (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 5, 2013, 05:33 PM

2. Right, absolutely,

and schools' recent inclination to remove these elements from curricula is among the very damaging aspects of public education these days.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 09:52 AM

3. Yes.

Which is why I've been the loudest critic in my district when it comes to cutting music, art, and PE.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 12:19 AM

4. Probably not.

Causality is the key. Do smart or hard-working/persistent kids stick with instrument performance or does instrumental performance produce smart and/or hard-working/persistent kids.

The assumption was the latter was true--music education bred either discipline or smarts. But the research always hedged by saying that this is, really, a correlation.

A month or so ago research claimed that it was mere correlation. The researchers had extensive controls and when they ran the regression claimed that the correlation lost all statistical significance. So it's the former. Discipline and/or smarts permits more music participation.

Reply to this post

Response to Igel (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 12:41 AM

5. Links?

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 12:40 PM

6. Our three kids are muscians.

YEs it helps them,and as others state, it is a foreign language. All three started band in the 6th grade. Marching band was/is crucial for two of them, one is in Grad School for his instrument and contemplating a PhD in performance...Then there's me who can't carry a tune in a bucket. I hated piano, had to take it for 3 painful years as a preteen and hated every single minute of it. I can find middle C and that's it today. I did enjoy Chorus in high school, but wasn't very good in that class. Just great for meeting young ladies and a great way to finish up the school day, easy class....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread