HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Economy & Education » Education (Group) » How to study in Germany (...

Sat Nov 23, 2013, 04:28 PM

How to study in Germany (for a U.S. citizen)?

My son will (hopefully) graduate high school this spring, and has studied German for a few years, was on a class trip there, and his uncle lives over there. He'd really like to go over and work, study, get immersed, the whole thing.

What are the mechanics of making that happen? I assume applying for a student visa. Can he get a work visa too? How much would tuition cost for a non-German citizen? Any recommendations of where to do schooling? Or, if he wanted to work but not attend school yet, options for that? I understand Germany is a bit restrictive on work permission for non-citizens.

Any and all answers appreciated.


- Tab

2 replies, 1516 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to study in Germany (for a U.S. citizen)? (Original post)
Tab Nov 2013 OP
rdharma Nov 2013 #1
Tab Nov 2013 #2

Response to Tab (Original post)

Sat Nov 23, 2013, 05:56 PM

1. Contact your nearest German Consulate.


Or better yet....Better yet..... have your son do the leg work contacting the German Consulate.

And consider some serious language training at the Goethe Institute or some other language proficiency training. American High School German will not get you by in German higher education.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rdharma (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 23, 2013, 06:08 PM

2. Good idea

I'll have him contact the Boston consulate.

I'm sure he'll have a major language hump because he really doesn't have anyone to interact with over here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread