HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Taiwan amends law to acce...

Mon Apr 15, 2019, 07:54 PM

Taiwan amends law to accelerate renewable energy development

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20190415PD206.html
Taiwan amends law to accelerate renewable energy development
Bryan Chuang, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES
Monday 15 April 2019

Taiwan's legislature has passed an amendment to the Renewable Energy Development Act, paving the way for the government to reach the goal of having renewable energy account for 20% of total power demand in 2025.

The amendment hikes target cumulative total installation capacity for renewable energy generating facilities in 2025 from 10GW originally to 27GW.

Individual renewable energy generators can either set up own-use step-up transformer stations and power transmission lines for connection with local grids or jointly do so for shared use. The maximum installation capacity for small renewable energy generating facilities that are entitled to simplified examination process is hiked from 500KW originally to 2,000KW.

In line with the government's efforts to boost development of renewable energy, wafer foundry service provider Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) has announced that its 3nm fab in Southern Taiwan Science Park, estimated to consume electricity of 1.0 billion kWh a year, will rely on renewable energy for 20% of its total power use and natural gas-generated electricity for the remaining 80%. TSMC also aims to reduce carbon emissions by 20% in 2030.

0 replies, 257 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread