HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » Birth of wild tapir offer...

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 02:15 AM

Birth of wild tapir offers hope for Brazil's endangered ecosystem

Jonathan Watts Global environment editor

@jonathanwatts
Wed 18 Mar 2020 02.00 EDT

Hopes for a recovery of Brazil’s most endangered ecosystem have been given a boost by the first birth of a wild tapir in Rio de Janeiro’s Atlantic Forest for more than a century.

Scientists said video clips of the baby tapir proved the initial success of a re-introduction strategy for the threatened mammal, which is often described as “a forest gardener” because it plays a vital role in the dispersal of seeds.

The images of the pig-like calf with a characteristic prehensile snout were captured by a camera trap in the Guapiaçu Ecological Reserve and released in Brazilian media outlets.

Researchers believed the calf was born in January and a second may be on its way because another adult female appears to be pregnant.

More:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/birth-of-wild-tapir-offers-hope-for-brazils-endangered-ecosystem

3 replies, 444 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Birth of wild tapir offers hope for Brazil's endangered ecosystem (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 18 OP
Judi Lynn Mar 18 #1
littlemissmartypants Mar 18 #2
Judi Lynn Mar 21 #3

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 04:06 AM

1. Pictures of baby tapirs:

So dangerous when they charge!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Mar 18, 2020, 08:46 AM

2. What a lovely post. Thanks Judi Lynn. ❤

They are so cute but they get big. A fascinating and beautiful animal. Thanks again for sharing!

Reply to this post

Response to littlemissmartypants (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 21, 2020, 07:36 AM

3. I didn't know they were so amazing as babies 'til I looked for their pictures! Thank you, LMSP! ❤️️

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread