HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Environment & Energy (Group) » French power station gene...

Mon Dec 21, 2015, 09:53 PM

French power station generates electricity from cheese (pas l'oignon)

Cheese-based power station in the Alps produces enough power to supply a community of 1,500

Telegraph.uk By David Chazan, Paris | 20 Dec 2015

Generating electricity from cheese could be the plot of an Asterix comic book, but that is exactly what is happening at a new power plant in the French Alps.

A by-product of Beaufort cheese, skimmed whey, is converted into biogas, a mixture of methane and carbon dioxide, at the plant in Albertville, in Savoie...

Albertville in Savoie, France Photo: Alamy

...“Whey is our fuel,” said François Decker of Valbio, the company that designed and built the power station, which opened in October. “It’s quite simply the same as the ingredient in natural yoghurt."

After full-fat milk is used to make Beaufort cheese, whey and cream are left over. The cream is taken to make ricotta cheese, butter and protein powder, which is used as a food supplement.

The residual skimmed whey is then placed in a tank with bacteria, where natural fermentation produces methane in the same way that the gas is produced in cows’ stomachs...snip
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12060538/French-power-station-generates-electricity-from-cheese.html

Cheesus, what's next, hamsters on wheels?

3 replies, 733 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply French power station generates electricity from cheese (pas l'oignon) (Original post)
nationalize the fed Dec 2015 OP
JonathanRackham Dec 2015 #1
Binkie The Clown Dec 2015 #2
StevieM Dec 2015 #3

Response to nationalize the fed (Original post)

Mon Dec 21, 2015, 10:24 PM

1. Don't they mean cutting the cheese?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 22, 2015, 01:45 AM

2. I generate gas from beans myself. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 22, 2015, 03:37 PM

3. I seem to remember an episode of Family Matters where one of Steve Urkel's science experiments

was to harness the electrical potential of cheese.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread