HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Peak Oil (Group) » Drumbeat from this weeken...

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 11:23 AM

Drumbeat from this weekend and today.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1127340

2 replies, 1065 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drumbeat from this weekend and today. (Original post)
Javaman Dec 2011 OP
robertpaulsen Dec 2011 #1
FBaggins Dec 2011 #2

Response to Javaman (Original post)

Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:47 PM

1. Thanks Javaman. I particularly liked the Heinberg piece.

One of the real "inconvenient truths" besides the historical correlation between carbon dioxide and global warming is the economic correlation between GDP growth and the emission of greenhouse gasses. This is a truism throughout the history of industrial civilization regardless of whether the economy in question was capitalist or communist. The problem, which Heinberg recognizes, is that under both systems money is predicated on infinite growth. Unless you change the way money works, you change nothing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to robertpaulsen (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 13, 2011, 07:12 AM

2. I think that confuses correlation with causation

There appears to be a causal link between growth and energy usage (though plenty would argue that point - with some valid points), but it's more correct IMO to say that this greater energy usage has historically been tied to greater carbon/GHG emissions.

The first link may or may not be fixable, but the second surely is. We can produce more power with less carbon/GHG.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread