HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » The lab-grown meat indust...

Sat Mar 9, 2019, 10:49 AM

The lab-grown meat industry just got the regulations it's been begging for

Source: Vox

The lab-grown meat industry just got the regulations it’s been begging for

Taking cell-based meat products to market will require a regulatory framework. The FDA and USDA just announced one.

By Kelsey Piper Mar 9, 2019, 8:00am EST

It’s not every day you see companies rejoicing at an announcement that the government is figuring out how to regulate their product.

But that’s exactly what happened Thursday, March 7, when the Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced that they’d established a framework for regulating cell-based meat and poultry. The companies working on those products were thrilled.

Why? Well, cell-based meat companies have been arguing for years that their product is meat and should be regulated like meat from slaughterhouses. And they’ve pointed out that, for America’s “clean meat” industry to remain competitive with the clean meat industries in Israel, China, Singapore, the Netherlands, Japan, and other countries, companies need assurance that their product will be responsibly regulated by the USDA and the FDA.

Proponents believe cell-based meat has the potential to solve a bunch of the world’s biggest problems in one shot. They hope it can end animal cruelty on factory farms, combat climate change, reduce the use of antibiotics to keep animals alive in cramped conditions, and make it possible to feed a growing, increasingly wealthy global population.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/3/9/18255806/fda-usda-lab-grown-meat-cell-based-vegan-vegetarian

8 replies, 936 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The lab-grown meat industry just got the regulations it's been begging for (Original post)
Eugene Mar 2019 OP
mr_lebowski Mar 2019 #1
athena Mar 2019 #5
mr_lebowski Mar 2019 #6
2naSalit Mar 2019 #2
athena Mar 2019 #4
2naSalit Mar 2019 #7
MountCleaners Mar 2019 #3
2naSalit Mar 2019 #8

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sat Mar 9, 2019, 11:14 AM

1. If it tastes good and is well-researched to be no less unhealthy than farm-grown meats, I'm all in!

It really seems like a win-win once you get past your initial revulsion at the thought.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #1)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 12:28 AM

5. I hope you mean "revulsion at the thought of eating meat".

This is the vegan, vegetarian, and animal rights forum.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #5)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 12:48 AM

6. This would totally ameliorate a ton of animal cruelty, climate damage & habitat destruction

Regardless of what I would or would not eat, getting people OFF of farm animal meat is a great thing. People will not stop eating meat, so ... this seems like a good thing.

Apologies, I didn't even notice the forum

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 9, 2019, 12:22 PM

2. Soylent green....nt

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 11, 2019, 11:58 PM

4. As if the meat you're eating weren't already soylent green.

I don’t know how I managed to put that stuff in my mouth for so many years.

Reply to this post

Response to athena (Reply #4)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:09 AM

7. Well I am not big on eating meat...

never have been but when I do, it's organic and usually wild game from my local area. I know the hunters and processors personally so I don't have a lot of issues with my personal consumption. When I eat out, which is rare, I avoid meat.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 10, 2019, 05:42 PM

3. I guess i'm in favor of it

...but after 31 years of vegetarianism, my body has come to prefer the texture of vegetable protein.

Will the cell-grown meat be as unhealthy as regular meat?

Reply to this post

Response to MountCleaners (Reply #3)

Tue Mar 12, 2019, 10:10 AM

8. Makes me think or Pink Slime...

only worse.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread