HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » California moves to limit...

Thu Mar 28, 2019, 11:15 PM

California moves to limit use of drugs and whips in horse racing

Source: Reuters

SPORTS NEWS MARCH 28, 2019 / 7:14 PM / UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

California moves to limit use of drugs and whips

Rory Carroll
2 MIN READ

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - California horse racing authorities on Thursday took steps to limit the use of medications and whips in competitions, moves that come following the death of 22 horses at the famous Santa Anita track this year.

One rule approved by the California Horse Racing Board would curtail the use of Lasix, a race-day drug used to treat bleeding in the lungs of horses, which can occur during extreme exercise.

The board also voted to limit the use of whips, known in horse racing circles as “riding crops”, despite objections from jockeys.

Jockeys would still carry whips during races but would only use them for safety purposes, not to make the horses run faster.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-horseracing-santaanita/california-moves-to-limit-use-of-drugs-and-whips-idUSKCN1R92VW

1 replies, 535 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply California moves to limit use of drugs and whips in horse racing (Original post)
Eugene Mar 2019 OP
RockRaven Mar 2019 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Mar 29, 2019, 12:10 AM

1. I suppose it would be too much for "but muh free-dumb" types to just ditch horse racing entirely?

That would be, I think, a much more parsimonious solution to this problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread