HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Environment & Energy » Vegetarian, Vegan and Animal Rights (Group) » Beginning Vegan

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:25 AM

Beginning Vegan

I took the vegan pledge at the beginning of the month, in connection with the Vegan Living program at Molloy College on Long Island. Tried many times before over the decades, but I never prepared well or did enough research. Rarely did I make it past a few days.

Coming up on 2 weeks this Saturday. VL has a seminar every Saturday during the month for pledges, and I have 2 coaches assigned that I check in with daily. Feeling good thus far.

So I have the diet part down. Next step is my clothing; I follow a BDSM lifestyle and identify as a "Leatherman". Saving up to replace my wardrobe with vegan "leather".

Glad this group is here.

3 replies, 217 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Beginning Vegan (Original post)
TommyCelt Wednesday OP
guillaumeb Wednesday #1
mucifer Yesterday #2
gtar100 1 hr ago #3

Response to TommyCelt (Original post)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:27 AM

1. Good luck.

I gave up meat in 1986, but I am not a vegan. I love cheese too much to be a vegan.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jun 14, 2019, 03:03 AM

2. Welcome! Another group you might want to consider

Reddit has a good active vegan group:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/

Lots of info there and it's pretty active and good links.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 07:08 PM

3. Going on 12 years here so it's possible

What has kept me going is staying aware of the incredible cruelty cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, goats, and so many others suffer because of we humans. And it's not just the killing of them, it's the wretched conditions they keep them in, the artificial insemination to keep females lactating for our milk and cheese addiction, the abuse of chickens for eggs (can't even pick them up to rescue them because their brittle bones just snap), the destruction of lands for animal agriculture, the waste, the pollution, the violence... it never seems to end. If you can plug into being vegan for compassionate reasons for the animals, it will stick with you.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread