HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Opinions sought: Is this ...

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 03:51 PM

Opinions sought: Is this transphobic?

Someone wishing to disparage Chelsea Manning wrote, "As a woman* she* is still a treasonous weasel."

People can call Chelsea Manning a treasonous weasel without being transphobic. (I myself don't like what I know about Caitlyn Jenner's politics. Being trans is no guarantee of virtue.) In this instance, though, I thought that the inclusion of the asterisks could have no import other than a sneering implication that there was something phony, or maybe downright evil, about Manning's gender identity. I concluded that this particular attack on her embodied transphobia.

As a straight cisgender man, I admit my lack of personal expertise on the subject. I'd be grateful to hear the reactions of people who are closer to the front lines of these battles. Was I overreacting?

6 replies, 1132 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Opinions sought: Is this transphobic? (Original post)
Jim Lane Jan 2018 OP
SWBTATTReg Jan 2018 #1
Fatemah2774 Jan 2018 #2
Behind the Aegis Jan 2018 #3
irisblue Jan 2018 #4
Behind the Aegis Jan 2018 #5
Jim Lane Jan 2018 #6

Response to Jim Lane (Original post)

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 04:04 PM

1. I agree w/ you...and you're not overreacting...

There is no point in highlighting sex of person period unless the writer intended to make specifically that point...the transphobic remark...disgusting and not needed...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 04:23 PM

2. I also agree...

As a transgender woman who is African American I have witnessed such slights in public with pronouns addressed to me. Politics aside, a person should be addressed as they are, and without any preconceived notions of what others may think.

That is just my opinion, of course.

Reply to this post

Response to Fatemah2774 (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 04:30 PM

3. This is long overdue, but...

WELCOME!!!

I have enjoyed more than a few of your posts since you have joined. Thank you for speaking out!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 04:31 PM

4. No I don't think you over reacted. it was a sideslap @Manning. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 16, 2018, 04:31 PM

5. I saw that comment and your reply.

to you.

You were not overreacting, and you are also correct someone can be transgender and not be virtuous, as that has nothing to do with someone's gender, or any other physical characteristic for that matter.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 17, 2018, 01:06 AM

6. I appreciate the responses.

I was kind of surprised that, when I raised the issue in the thread where it appeared, most people dismissed my concern. Frankly, my opinion is that some people's intense dislike of one particular trans person (Chelsea Manning) blinded them to the bigotry.

It's often said that you don't really believe in freedom of speech unless you support freedom for the speech you hate. I'll add that you don't really oppose transphobia unless you oppose it even when you dislike the target.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread