HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Gender & Orientation » LGBT (Group) » Chick-fil-A is ending don...

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 06:01 PM

Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists after years of backlash

You’d still have to pay me to eat there, ymmv. -DG

Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists after years of backlash

On Monday, Chick-fil-A announced it was making a major change to perhaps the most controversial part of the company: its charitable-giving arm.

In a press release, the company said it would "deepen its giving to a smaller number of organizations working exclusively in the areas of education, homelessness and hunger." A Chick-fil-A representative confirmed that the company would no longer donate to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army, two organizations that have been criticized by LGBTQ advocates.

"We made multiyear commitments to both organizations, and we fulfilled those obligations in 2018. Moving forward you will see that the Chick-fil-A Foundation will support the three specific initiatives of homelessness, hunger and education," the representative said in a statement to Business Insider.

Chick-fil-A had previously worked with the groups to fund specific programs — such as summer camps — that work directly with underprivileged children.

8 replies, 1279 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Chick-fil-A is ending donations criticized by LGBTQ activists after years of backlash (Original post)
Duncan Grant Nov 2019 OP
LaurenOlimina Nov 2019 #1
Saviolo Nov 2019 #2
Collimator Nov 2019 #3
packman Nov 2019 #4
Duncan Grant Nov 2019 #6
Gothmog Nov 2019 #5
Mickju Nov 2019 #7
FreeState Nov 2019 #8

Response to Duncan Grant (Original post)

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 06:09 PM

1. Fuck them. EOM

I believe they have earned a "no take backs" clause.

Ask me again in a decade.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 06:49 PM

2. Not buying it.

This is a cynical ploy to change the face of the company because being anti-LGBTQ+ is costing them money. They want to still be shitty people but for the company to have broader appeal. They wouldn't be doing this if it weren't affecting their bottom line. They're not doing this for the right reasons, (ie: that it's super shitty to give money to homophobic/transphobic organizations), they're only doing it to try and make more money.

Hard pass.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 07:25 PM

3. Is Chick-fil-A actually being impacted by its stand on LBQT rights?

I have only heard about a location in the UK that wasn't well received.

Even though I have avoided buying their food for some years now, I haven't really heard about a distinct, organized boycott. My friend's mom (friend is gay) eats there and doesn't think about it. I'm not even sure that my friend cares or not.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 07:27 PM

4. Already posted under "Latest Breaking News"

Reply to this post

Response to packman (Reply #4)

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 10:21 PM

6. Please feel free to cross post to this forum in the future. eom

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 18, 2019, 07:50 PM

5. Huckabee: It's 'tragic' Chick-fil-A will focus its charitable giving on causes that aren't anti LGBT

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 01:16 PM

7. I still will never eat there.

This does not wash away their sins. My sister eats there at every opportunity and thinks she is being virtuous for doing so. I hate to say it about my own sister, but she is an idiot who watches Fox every day for hours. It causes me real grief as a gay man.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 30, 2019, 05:30 PM

8. They reversed course and have caved to bigots again

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread