HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Health » Addiction & Recovery (Group) » Great article on addictio...

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 10:48 AM

Great article on addiction!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/us/addiction-heroin-opioids.html?emc=edit_nn_p_20181221&nl=morning-briefing&nlid=65276920section%3DlongRead§ion=longRead&te=1

"One is too many. And a thousand is not enough"

The opioid epidemic is devastating America. Overdoses have passed car crashes and gun violence to become the leading cause of death for Americans under 55. The epidemic has killed more people than H.I.V. at the peak of that disease, and its death toll exceeds those of the wars in Vietnam and Iraq combined. Funerals for young people have become common. Every 11 minutes, another life is lost.

So why do so many people start using these drugs? Why donít they stop?

Some people are more susceptible to addiction than others. But nobody is immune. For many, opioids like heroin entice by bestowing an immediate sense of tranquility, only to trap the user in a vicious cycle that essentially rewires the brain.

1 replies, 895 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Great article on addiction!!! (Original post)
cally Dec 2018 OP
mountain grammy Dec 2018 #1

Response to cally (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2018, 11:01 AM

1. I have a daughter...

I still have her. Clean now, I think, I hope.

This is one of the best things I've read since Hari's "Chasing the Scream" Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread