HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Slightly Southern-style P...

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 09:21 AM

Slightly Southern-style Potato Salad Recipe

Going along with our grilling and summery food theme, we've done a video on our recipe for potato salad! We've seen a few recipes for this show up here and there. There are probably as many recipes for potato salad as there are households! Everyone does it a little differently, and of course there's lots of room for customization in this recipe.

We like to use the waxier potatoes for this, because we like nice firm chunks of potato in our potato salad, as opposed to using the starchy ones that sort of melt and crumble into what I'd consider a more deli-style potato salad. We just really prefer the texture. Also, we love the red skinned potatoes because they add a bit of colour to the final product. It looks great against the fresh green herbs and the yellow egg yolks.

(and we realize that adding boiled eggs to potato salad is controversial, but we love it!)

5 replies, 4670 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Slightly Southern-style Potato Salad Recipe (Original post)
Saviolo Aug 2017 OP
mitch96 Aug 2017 #1
Saviolo Aug 2017 #2
dem in texas Aug 2017 #5
irisblue Aug 2017 #3
Saviolo Aug 2017 #4

Response to Saviolo (Original post)

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 10:41 AM

1. And I thought to make it Southern you just add Dukes Mayo...

Great recipe btw... I would cook the 'taters with salt. Just enough to taste like the ocean... I'm not a fan of eggs in my tater salad but, hey that's me.. I really like the addition of salted olives. Some of my friends put in EVOO to get that unctuous mouth feel.. I like the olives better and maybe a splash of apple cider vinegar to balance...
Good stuff...
m

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mitch96 (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 11:34 AM

2. It sort of depends on our mood:

This is the recipe that my hubby grew up with in Texas, and they usually added either prepared mustard or mustard powder. It gives it a little zing without adding too much sourness that you get from vinegar.

I can see the EVOO angle, but yeah, we adore the oil-cured olives for this purpose instead. And you don't have to use the Moroccan dried cured olives. A nice big meaty green olive or those lovely oily red olives also work very well. It really depends on what you want for your flavour profile. You may want to adjust your herbs, too, to complement the olives more.

I may have glossed over it quickly, but we did add a fair amount of salt into the potato water while they were boiling

Reply to this post

Response to mitch96 (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 08:36 PM

5. Real Southern Belles Use Hellman's Mayo

When I was growing up in Texas, we always had Hellman's in the house and that is I what I have always used and still use today. The late Maryln Swartz, a columnist for the Dallas Morning News, wrote a book on how to be a true Southern Belle and one of her requirements was to always use Hellman's Mayonnaise for your potato salad and pimento cheese sandwiches.

I'd never heard of Dukes until the started running ads on TV recently.

Reply to this post

Response to Saviolo (Original post)

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 12:03 PM

3. So exactly what is a waxy potato?

A russet?

Reply to this post

Response to irisblue (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 17, 2017, 12:18 PM

4. Here's a handy guide!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/02/types-of-potatoes_n_4877050.html

Starchy: Like the classic Idaho or Russet, these potatoes are (obviously) high in starch and low in moisture. They’re fluffy, making them great for boiling, baking and frying, but they don’t hold their shape well, so they should be avoided in dishes like casseroles, gratins and potato salads.

Waxy: Like Red Bliss or New Potatoes, these have a low starch content and are often characterized by a creamy, firm and moist flesh that holds its shape well after cooking. They’re typically great for roasting, boiling, casseroles and potato salads.

All-Purpose: These potatoes have a medium starch content that fall somewhere in between the starchy and waxy potatoes. They’re a true multi-purpose potato, and therefore can be used for just about any cooking application. A classic example is the Yukon Gold.

We usually use something like Inca Gold or Red Bliss for our potato salad. After boiling, we make sure to shock them and chill them well, it really helps them stay together and hold their shape once they're in the salad.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread