HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Why Pasta Is the Answer t...

Tue Mar 13, 2018, 05:10 PM

Why Pasta Is the Answer to Trump

ROME — I consider myself an adventurer, especially on the culinary front. I have consumed livers, kidneys and brains. I have eaten an Amazonian herb that numbs your tongue, which sort of nullifies the point of eating, and I have tried shrimp that were still alive — still wriggling — until the downward chomp of my incisors.

But on a recent visit here, I had pasta alla gricia on the first night, then pasta alla gricia on the second night, then pasta alla gricia on the third and fourth. There’s only one possible explanation, which is of course Donald Trump.

Before I elaborate on that, I should explain pasta alla gricia. It doesn’t enjoy the fame outside of Italy that it deserves. It’s essentially pasta alla carbonara minus the egg: less gooeyness, less guilt. “Lighter than carbonara” is how I often describe it, although that’s like saying “humbler than Trump.” The bar is low, and everything’s relative.

It can be made with bucatini. It can be made with rigatoni. It could probably be made with shoelaces and still be worth ordering. It’s proof, like many Italian delicacies, that the communion of fat (it’s studded with crispy bits of pork cheek) and salt (it’s deluged with pecorino cheese) is the most reliable ticket to heaven. And it was one of my go-to dishes when I lived here many years ago.

But four dinners in a row? That was unheard-of. It made me realize how much I relish constancy now. And it got me to thinking about how underrated sameness is.'>>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/opinion/pasta-trump.html?

4 replies, 462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Pasta Is the Answer to Trump (Original post)
elleng Mar 2018 OP
irisblue Mar 2018 #1
sinkingfeeling Mar 2018 #2
elleng Mar 2018 #3
The Polack MSgt Apr 12 #4

Response to elleng (Original post)

Tue Mar 13, 2018, 06:14 PM

1. I love pasta, but it is not kind to me.🍴

Likes sticking around.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to elleng (Original post)