HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Clam and winter melon sou...

Thu May 24, 2018, 10:59 AM

Clam and winter melon soup recipe

This week's recipe is an adaptation of a recipe a Taiwanese friend of ours taught us about. He grew up eating something similar to this, and my hubby made a couple of tweaks for his own tastes. It's a delicious and very light soup with bright ginger notes.

Winter melon should be easy to find if you have an Asian grocery store nearby. It has a very mild flavor and tends to pick up the flavor of whatever you're cooking it in. Also, make sure to give your clams a little bit of a scrub before you toss them in the pot, or you may end up with grit at the bottom of your soup!

2 replies, 629 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Clam and winter melon soup recipe (Original post)
Saviolo May 2018 OP
Galileo126 May 2018 #1
Saviolo May 2018 #2

Response to Saviolo (Original post)

Thu May 24, 2018, 04:48 PM

1. Interesting

Once I looked up "winter melon", it then made sense. I didn't know the melon is actually a bland/mild gourd. So, it appears that the melon asks like tofu, soaking up whatever you give it (as stated).

Clams and miso? You betcha! I'll make this one, if I can find winter melon here in the High Mojave desert.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Galileo126 (Reply #1)

Thu May 24, 2018, 08:08 PM

2. Yeah, I was unaware, as well

It's really like a giant cucumber in texture, with an even milder flavor. It's cooked once it's mostly translucent along the edges, and soft all the way through.

I'm with you, I'm a huge fan of clams. Second only to scallops as my favorite bivalve.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread