HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Coquito - Puerto Rican Co...

Sun Dec 9, 2018, 04:29 PM

Coquito - Puerto Rican Coconut Nog

Like many traditional foods or drinks that coquito can trigger some passionate debate. The biggest debate regarding coquito is with or without egg yolk.

Everyone that is familiar with coquito stands firmly in one camp. I am firmly in the no egg yolk camp. My abuela and mother made it with no egg yolk so I make it with no egg yolk. I always say coquito isnít eggnog itís coquito

Now Iím not knocking eggnog. In fact, my friend Rebecca has a killer eggnog recipe. But eggnog and coquito are not the same thing.

Abuela once told me that the addition of egg yolk was the influence of the classic American Christmas drink eggnog. How true that is I canít say but I continue to stand firm in the no egg yolk camp. If your abuela made it with egg yolk go for it.

what is coquito?

Regardless of the eternal egg yolk debate the main ingredients of coquito, are coconut milk, coconut cream, Puerto Rican rum, and sweetened condensed milk. The result is a creamy coconut rum drink that is essential to any Puerto Rican Christmas celebration.

tips for coquito
This recipe calls for cream of coconut like Coco Lopez. This is different from coconut milk.
Coquito (without egg) will last in an airtight container refrigerated for 4-6 months.
If the some of the coconut fat solidifies let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes and give it a good shake before serving.
Traditional coquito is made with Puerto Rican Rum like Don Q.
These swing-top bottles are great for gifting coquito.

In the recipe, I suggest 1 1/2 cups of white rum. If that sounds like too much start with 1 cup and add more to taste. I like to add just enough rum that itís prickly on the back of your throat and warms you on the inside. It will be one of the few drinks youíll have that is cold that warms you up.

Just be careful because the flavor of the rum gets stronger the longer the drink ďmarinadesĒ.

get recipe here

4 replies, 954 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Coquito - Puerto Rican Coconut Nog (Original post)
JHan Dec 2018 OP
lunasun Dec 2018 #1
JHan Dec 2018 #2
lunasun Dec 2018 #3
JHan Dec 2018 #4

Response to JHan (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2018, 05:38 PM

1. Somebody gave me a bottle of that last Christmas and told me to keep it in the fridge

Well a lot got put in the fridge that week . Anyway, a few weeks maybe a month pass
I bring it out - oh
that was some strong rum coming out when open
Now I know how it was made and yes they gifted in a swing top bottle

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lunasun (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 9, 2018, 06:33 PM

2. yeah and it "marinades" over time.

Last edited Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:01 PM - Edit history (2)

there are other versions in the Caribbean too which use condensed milk, like Trinidadian egg nog - "Ponche De Creme" - with eggs , lime zest , condensed milk, bitters , nutmeg also star anise, cloves, allspice, some evap milk and good Caribbean Rum. (2 cups of rum for every 6 eggs)

Reply to this post

Response to JHan (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 9, 2018, 10:36 PM

3. I'm a sucker for anything with even a hint of lime + hey that sounds good too 🍹

Reply to this post

Response to lunasun (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 11, 2018, 07:54 PM

4. it's good and easy to make

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread