HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » Tom Kha Soup Recipe

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 01:32 PM

Tom Kha Soup Recipe

This week we decided to do a lovely Thai soup for our recipe! It's a really simple and fragrant soup full of lemongrass, galangal, and hot peppers. It's also super simple, and the real trick is to add one thing, let it come up to the simmer, and then before it boils, add the next thing. Repeat until everything's been added, and never let it get to the boil and you'll have great flavour extraction for all of the ingredients (also, boiling really wreaks havoc with coconut milk).

We didn't really include it in the video, but we added shrimp to ours, but it is also traditional to use chicken. Also, if you use vegetable or mushroom broth, you can make this vegetarian. Also also, if you can't get a hold of shimeji mushrooms, then oyster mushrooms are very traditional for this kind of soup, and just plain sliced button or crimini mushrooms are delicious in it as well.

5 replies, 495 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tom Kha Soup Recipe (Original post)
Saviolo Feb 2020 OP
hlthe2b Feb 2020 #1
Saviolo Feb 2020 #4
klook Feb 2020 #2
lambchopp59 Feb 2020 #3
Saviolo Feb 2020 #5

Response to Saviolo (Original post)

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 01:36 PM

1. Looks good... How much shrimp did you add? fresh? frozen?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 02:06 PM

4. We had some leftover raw frozen shrimp we wanted to get rid of.

There were 6 of them. We thawed them and tossed them in a little after we had added the onion and tomato. They came out delicious! Soaked up a lot of those aromatics from the broth.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 01:36 PM

2. Thank you!

I will give this a try ó love this stuff. Itís also great with steamed tofu.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 01:43 PM

3. Tom Yum soups for me only

Much as I love Thai Salads and soups, I'm allergic to coconut. So only certain recipes I can do, or do without the coco milk. No fun to eat something delicious and have to take two benedryl
So I tried some Tom Yum soups from scratch years ago, resigned to using Tom Yum paste to make it because it's quite a process. Now I haven't made that in years, leaving it to the local professionals
Thanks for sharing anyway!

Reply to this post

Response to lambchopp59 (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 27, 2020, 02:07 PM

5. Food allergies are the worst.

I'm fortunate, I don't really have any.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread