HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Cooking & Baking (Group) » I've been sheltering in p...

Fri Apr 17, 2020, 10:38 AM

I've been sheltering in place at my daughter's house and we've been cooking for entertainment.

I made some of the best bread in my life yesterday. I used this recipe for classic sandwich bread
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe
Using half whole wheat and half all purpose flour (because that's what we had).

It has the great whole wheat taste with a lighter density than standard wheat bread. I did all the mixing and kneading with a stand mixer (how easy is that).

I used to bake bread pretty regularly when the kids were growing up, but got out of the habit when they left home.

I made a pot of chicken noodle soup to go with it, homemade egg noodles and all. It was a veritable feast.

When this is all said and done, I'll need to shop for larger clothes.

3 replies, 467 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've been sheltering in place at my daughter's house and we've been cooking for entertainment. (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Apr 17 OP
eleny Apr 17 #1
Laelth Apr 17 #2
Arkansas Granny Apr 17 #3

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Fri Apr 17, 2020, 11:09 AM

1. We haven't tried that one yet

It looks really yummy and with your tweak to use some whole wheat flour it had to be good.

I was looking to try making bagels and even found an easy recipe to follow at King Arthur's. It's Marten's Bagels or Chewy Bagels. He also has a video on YouTube.

But then I went looking for a no-knead bagel bread recipe and found that at KA's. I just mixed up the dough this morning. It won't be an overnighter so I upped the yeast from 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. At this altitude I better keep an eye on it, lol.

But I was really wanting to make a bread without toppings. too. Now I know it's the one you made, whole wheat and all. I'll put that together tonight for a no-knead version. Thanks for the nudge!

..... .....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Fri Apr 17, 2020, 11:09 AM

2. Got a spare hog?

Maybe your daughter can dig the hole.

-Laelth

Reply to this post

Response to Laelth (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 17, 2020, 11:22 AM

3. That would make for too many leftovers.

We're trying to keep it manageable.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread