HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Zinnia in SW Wasington.

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 01:48 PM

Zinnia in SW Wasington.

My brother gave me a Zinnia plant in one of those small plastic planters from the store.

I see the directions both on the card and on line but I still do not understand.

What the hell does "moderate" water mean?

Can it stay out 24/7 or do I need to bring it in at some point? I do not get anywhere near enough sunshine in my apartment.

Should I take the time and expense to repot it into a somewhat bigger pot? In other words how long will this last in this climate ( particularly now? )

If it helps with better explanation on where I am I am in Centralia in Lewis county.

5 replies, 728 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Zinnia in SW Wasington. (Original post)
Ka-Dinh Oy Jun 2021 OP
lark Jun 2021 #1
Ka-Dinh Oy Jun 2021 #2
lark Jun 2021 #3
Ka-Dinh Oy Jun 2021 #4
lark Jun 2021 #5

Response to Ka-Dinh Oy (Original post)

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 02:37 PM

1. Zinnias love lots of sun, they need it to thrive and are outside flowers.

The water they need depends on the heat and how much sun they get. Here in hot humid Northern FL, when I plant zinnias in the front flower bed where they get 8 hours of direct sun, including the hot afternoon sun up until 4pm, we water the roots when they start to wilt in really hot weather and otherwise water the whole plant really thoroughly 1-2 times a week.

Good luck with yours, I just love zinnias, they come in so many bright colors and are such simple happy plants to me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lark (Reply #1)

Sun Jun 20, 2021, 02:48 PM

2. Washington has been weird this year.

We get really hard rain or a week where it does not stop at all then the next week 70 some to 80 some weather. That is either with or without clouds. Yesterday ( or should I say this morning ) at 2am I watered out on the top soil. I gave it some more water on the dish I have it set on and it sucked it up real fast.

Reply to this post

Response to Ka-Dinh Oy (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 21, 2021, 08:18 AM

3. They love lots of water too.

They'd have to to thrive in hot often wet Jax.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 21, 2021, 11:29 AM

4. I found when I put water on the plate that I have them on they suck it up fast.

I water it both on the top and bottom late at about 2am. I might put water on the bottom of the plate in the mid day. If it doesn't suck up the water I will empty the plate. I do not want to rot the roots. Then again I have no clue what I am talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to Ka-Dinh Oy (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 22, 2021, 08:35 AM

5. Actually, sounds like a good plan for a potted plant.

Like I said, they really LOVE water, but few plants will tolerate standing water if they aren't swamp plants. I keep mine in the ground, they grow really big when they get enough filtered sun and water.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread