HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Spider mites!

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 03:59 PM

Spider mites!

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for a long time but have just recently started commenting on DU.

This summer has been awful for my little container garden. All of my tomatillos got destroyed by what looks to be spider mites, and it looks like they've started attacking what's left of my tomato plant. Frost will take care of the little buggers soon enough (I'm in zone 4), but I'm wondering if anyone here has an organic solution for them in case they come back next summer? Any idea what could have attracted them this year vs. in the past? The only real change to my garden this year was the addition of lots of compost to my usual potting mix.

Thanks and look forward to becoming a more active DUer!

2 replies, 1392 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Spider mites! (Original post)
Aquavit Sep 2012 OP
Viva_La_Revolution Sep 2012 #1
Curmudgeoness Sep 2012 #2

Response to Aquavit (Original post)

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 04:51 PM

1. they like hot and dry conditions

you could try spraying the plants with water 2-4 times a day till they're gone. just keep the plants out of direct sunlight till they dry off

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Aquavit (Original post)

Thu Sep 6, 2012, 07:31 PM

2. Welcome to DU and the Garden group.

I hope you enjoy being here.

This has been a very bad year for spider mites due to the hot and dry weather. I have not tried this, but rosemary or neem oils are recommended for them.

Also, here is another post about them with some comments:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/11592263

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread