HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » Just finished my annual m...

Mon May 27, 2013, 11:01 AM

Just finished my annual memorial day garden planting!

It feels good.

All is in. I cut down a bit this year, but still have plenty. I have quite a large raised bed.

6 tomato plants
2 cherry tomato plants
2 mounds of cukes
5 pepper plants
30 dwarf marigolds to attract the bees.

I use to do summer squash, but I just got to darned much of it to eat. So, I planted what I thought we would use and not go to waste. I like to use my tomatoes and peppers to make fresh spaghettie sauce. I make about 5 gallons each summer.

I tried to make it a bit easier to navigate this year. And I think I have succeeded. I planted wider rows to make it easier for staking and watering. I don't use a sprinkler. I hand water each plant. Seems to help keep the tomatoes a bit more healthier. And less powdery mildew on the cukes leaves.

My father use to do this every year, and this is my second year doing it in memoriam of him. He taught me all I know. We always talked about it a lot. I miss him. He loved this time of year and his garden.

Love to all those thinking of lost loved ones this Memorial Day!

3 replies, 1245 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Just finished my annual memorial day garden planting! (Original post)
boston bean May 2013 OP
NRaleighLiberal May 2013 #1
boston bean May 2013 #2
beac May 2013 #3

Response to boston bean (Original post)

Mon May 27, 2013, 11:03 AM

1. Very nice....my dad got me into gardening as well, and I always ponder him while gardening.

I just finished watering everything! In fact, I just posted this two days ago - his birthday.

http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/1/post/2013/05/may-25-an-important-day-happy-birthday-to-my-dad-wilfred.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Mon May 27, 2013, 11:11 AM

2. Nice post at your site. Your dad sounds like he was really special.

do you think any of your tomatoes would survive and fruit in such a short growing season up here in MA?

If so, I would like to purchase some plants for my garden next year. They sound and look delicious.

Reply to this post

Response to boston bean (Reply #2)

Tue May 28, 2013, 02:47 PM

3. I can vouch for the wonderfulness of NRL's tomatoes.

Since I'll be moving from VA to your neck of the woods, I am REALLY hoping I can continue to be a NRL customer.

Do you start/keep your veggies indoors early in the season? I gather "after Memorial Day" is the safe-from-frost time up there.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread