HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Gardening (Group) » I've been so bummed that ...

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:22 AM

I've been so bummed that my cucumber plant

while it has huge leaves and is taking over as much space as it can to make runners had only the smallest evidence of a cucumber. I was watering it today, and holy smokes, hidden under the big old leaves was a six inch cucumber!

Everything I have seems to be flourishing, and I've never gardened before . I could have done a happy dance when I saw that cucumber, I already have tomatoes and peppers that are growing and obvious as fruits .

23 replies, 2788 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply I've been so bummed that my cucumber plant (Original post)
Aerows Jun 2014 OP
polly7 Jun 2014 #1
Aerows Jun 2014 #3
Adsos Letter Jun 2014 #2
Aerows Jun 2014 #4
Adsos Letter Jun 2014 #5
Aerows Jun 2014 #6
Adsos Letter Jun 2014 #7
Aerows Jun 2014 #8
NCarolinawoman Jun 2014 #9
Aerows Jun 2014 #10
Erich Bloodaxe BSN Jun 2014 #12
Aerows Jun 2014 #14
Erich Bloodaxe BSN Jun 2014 #20
femmocrat Jun 2014 #13
Aerows Jun 2014 #16
Aerows Jun 2014 #22
Erich Bloodaxe BSN Jun 2014 #11
Aerows Jun 2014 #18
laundry_queen Jun 2014 #15
Aerows Jun 2014 #17
Curmudgeoness Jun 2014 #19
Aerows Jun 2014 #21
lululu Jun 2014 #23

Response to Aerows (Original post)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:29 AM

1. Awwww ....

Congrats! I was wondering how you were making out. That's great!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to polly7 (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:45 AM

3. It's the size of something you could put in a pickle jar!

I'm so pleased .

Everything is going well. I have jalapenos popping out everywhere, onions with stalks standing up, and tomatoes heavy on the vine.

It has been a great thing for me to start gardening - I love it, and I CAN actually grow stuff!

NRaleighLiberal sent me a plant or two and get this - Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper, and it is flourishing . I have my own and a fall crop.

I couldn't stop smiling over finding that cucumber this morning before I went to work

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:41 AM

2. Good job!

Take care not to overwater, which often happens when someone decides to start a garden.

Reply to this post

Response to Adsos Letter (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:48 AM

4. I live in the hot humid South

and believe me, I can't water much, and we have a big rainstorm coming. I'm doing my best to keep from wetting them down too much, but it is pure joy to watch them grow. I've never successfully grown anything before, but my father is helping me and he has grown a bunch of things.

I'm so excited every time I see something bud and start to form a vegetable

Reply to this post

Response to Aerows (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:51 AM

5. Nothing tastes as good as homegrown

My cucumbers haven't set on yet, but I've got lots of tomatoes and squash ripening, with purple pole beans on the way.

Reply to this post

Response to Adsos Letter (Reply #5)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:53 AM

6. It's exciting to me to watch them grow

I haven't even eaten anything out of my garden yet, but I'm just so pleased to watch what they do!

Reply to this post

Response to Aerows (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:00 AM

7. There is something about tending a garden that is very satisfying

at an almost spiritual level for me. I love to garden both vegetables and ornamental stuff.
I've made a pretty well landscaped yard, and sitting out on the porch on a hot California evening, after everyone has had their evening drink, is extremely satisfying.

I took a 14-day road trip through Virginia and the Carolina's two years ago (with a quick detour to Savannah). The South is beautiful to my eye, so lush and green.

Reply to this post

Response to Adsos Letter (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:20 AM

8. It gives me a sense that I am

doing something that is meaningful and beautiful; also I get to see the results every day. That's what I love about it.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:29 AM

9. Now that you have picked that 6 incher, you will probably start getting more and more.

Cucumbers plants seem to put a lot of energy into that very first one. I tend to pick mine when they are small. Just enough for a salad or two. I love the fact that I don't have to peel them or deal with a wax coating I sometime see at the grocery store.

Reply to this post

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #9)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 01:31 AM

10. Really?

You think I should pick it so that others will grow?

Reply to this post

Response to Aerows (Reply #10)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 07:45 AM

12. I don't know if she's right on that one,

but did you have lots of flowers? If they got pollinated, you should wind up with a cuc anywhere you had a female flower.

(If you google cucumber female flower, you'll find more info than you ever wanted to know about cucumber sex

Reply to this post

Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Reply #12)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 03:56 PM

14. I have flowers everywhere on it.

Last edited Fri Jun 13, 2014, 05:17 PM - Edit history (1)

big yellow flowers.

Oh and we have a bumble bee or two - don't those help pollination? I haven't seen the honey bee type in forever but we do have bumble bees.

Reply to this post

Response to Aerows (Reply #14)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 07:13 PM

20. They'll probably do, as will several types of fly type bugs.

But it's fairly easy to hand pollinate cucs as well, if need be.

Sadly, we're running low on honey bees as well, although I finally saw a half dozen or so out around the white clover in the lawn last week. I've been holding off on mowing as much as possible to give them as much flower time as I can.

Reply to this post

Response to Aerows (Reply #10)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 12:32 PM

13. You should pick it and enjoy it!

Cukes are best when they are small and green. They grow quickly and then get full of seeds. By tomorrow that baby could be double in size! LOL

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #13)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 05:13 PM

16. I did :)

It's a nice sized cuke. I can't wait for more to grow!

I'll let everyone know how it tastes - I bet it tastes 10x better than those from the store. It even smells nice

Reply to this post

Response to NCarolinawoman (Reply #9)

Sat Jun 14, 2014, 10:31 PM

22. OMG I'm pretty sure

I have not ever eaten a finer cucumber. It was sweet, diced up it had a buttery texture and it wasn't really all that juicy, just delicious. It was like tzatziki sauce has that lingering taste that makes it so delicious on gyros. I'm getting some pita bread, some greek yogurt and some lamb to slice up and make a gyro from heaven at some point.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 07:42 AM

11. keep it watered.

If you're not getting rain, you need to make sure cuc's stay watered at least a bit daily (not soaked). We didn't do that last year, and apparently the cucumbers turn bitter if they don't get enough water.

Reply to this post

Response to Erich Bloodaxe BSN (Reply #11)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 05:15 PM

18. I live in the deep south

and we get a lot of rain. We had about 3 inches today while I was at work, so no need to water my garden.

I did pick the first cuke. I'm so excited - it smells nice, and I'm going to dice it up in a salad for dinner tonight!

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 05:03 PM

15. That's great!

Same thing happened to me last year. I had a few small cucumbers (it was a pickling variety) and I was a bit sad I wasn't getting much out of my plant. One day, I moved the plant around a bit and wow, there was a ginormous cuke underneath the leaves. Like 3 inches in circumference and about 8-9 inches long. I was worried as I heard they taste bitter if they are overgrown, but I picked it and made a cucumber salad (with one cucumber, LOL) and it was the sweetest cucumber I've ever tasted. After I picked that one it produced quite a few more. There wasn't enough for me to do any pickling, so I let them all grow huge and they were all delicious, LOL. I planted the same variety again this year and crossing my fingers, since I put them in the garden this year instead of a container...hoping they produce the same way

Reply to this post

Response to laundry_queen (Reply #15)

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 05:14 PM

17. I picked it

and it SMELLS delicious. I'm going to dice it up in a salad for dinner tonight .

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 13, 2014, 06:55 PM

19. How wonderful!

You will find that they all hide under and behind leaves. It is like playing hide-and-seek with them. It was good that you picked it, since cukes get seedy and I don't think that they are as good when they get too big....but you might want to try letting one get big to see for yourself if you feel the same way.

You make me smile at your enthusiasm.....we should all be that excited every year!

Reply to this post

Response to Curmudgeoness (Reply #19)

Sat Jun 14, 2014, 09:14 PM

21. I am excited!

I even posted pics of my little garden and my "helper"

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 15, 2014, 10:41 AM

23. cucumbers like to hide

I can go out one day and think I've picked all of them, and the next day there will be giant ones.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread