HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » Pet Alert: Euthanasia Dru...

Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:31 AM

Pet Alert: Euthanasia Drug Found in Wet Dog Food

Source: WebMD

Pet Alert: Euthanasia Drug Found in Wet Dog Food

By Aaron Sheinin

Feb. 15, 2018 -- A major producer of popular dog food brands has voluntarily withdrawn products over concerns they include a drug used to euthanize animals.

J.M. Smucker Co. said it has pulled specific shipments of Gravy Train, Kibbles 'N Bits, Olí Roy, and Skippy canned wet dog food.

The move, which is not considered an official recall, came after a Washington, D.C., television station said it had several varieties of dog food tested in an independent lab. Those results, WJLA said, found several products that tested positive for pentobarbital.

The station says the FDA is investigating. An agency spokeswoman said only that the FDA is "thoroughly reviewing" the state's results and that the "agency will determine apopriate action.

-snip-

Read more: https://pets.webmd.com/news/20180215/pet-alert-euthanasia-drug-found-wet-dog-food

5 replies, 812 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pet Alert: Euthanasia Drug Found in Wet Dog Food (Original post)
Eugene Feb 2018 OP
femmocrat Feb 2018 #1
Bayard Feb 2018 #2
jmowreader Feb 2018 #3
phylny Feb 2018 #4
Bayard Feb 2018 #5

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:45 AM

1. Wonder if any of it came from China?

The company has narrowed its focus to a single supplier and one minor ingredient used at a single manufacturing facility.

This statement doesn't make that clear.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:28 PM

2. The mind boggles

Does this mean that the meat was obtained from pets who had been put down? What other possibility is there.

I've started cooking for my dogs again. Too much bad stuff out there.

Reply to this post

Response to Bayard (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 18, 2018, 02:01 AM

3. Horsemeat is the first thing that comes to mind

http://news.vet.tufts.edu/2017/05/drug-used-to-euthanize-pets-found-in-dog-food/

Evanger's had a problem with pentobarbital in some of its products; the FDA tested them and found horse DNA contained within.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:01 AM

4. I've been making our dogs' food for over four years now.

We had always bought good quality food and first one, then another, and then a third was contaminated over the years. That's when I said, "I'm done." It's not cheap, but they are small dogs and don't consume that much.

Reply to this post

Response to phylny (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 18, 2018, 04:03 PM

5. Same here

I cooked for my crew for years, then started running into more and more time constraints. Went to a high quality dogfood, mixed with veges or what ever. One of my Great Pyrenees started throwing up all the time. Went back to cooking and no more pukings. We also calculated it's lower cost than the commercial stuff.....mostly crock pot stewed chicken, brown rice, veges.

I don't understand how euthanized horses are ending up in dog food in this country, when horse slaughter is illegal. Importing it back from Mexico or Canada?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread