HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » The story of Dyngo - a wa...

Thu Dec 20, 2018, 10:00 AM

The story of Dyngo - a war dog brought home from combat

It was late—an indistinguishable, bleary-eyed hour. The lamps in the living room glowed against the black spring night. In front of me was a large dog, snapping his jaws so hard that his teeth gave a loud clack with each bark. His eyes were locked on me, desperate for the toy I was holding. But he wasn’t playing—he was freaking out.

This was no ordinary dog. Dyngo, a 10-year-old Belgian Malinois, had been trained to propel his 87-pound body weight toward insurgents, locking his jaws around them. He’d served three tours in Afghanistan where he’d weathered grenade blasts and firefights. In 2011, he’d performed bomb-sniffing heroics that earned one of his handlers a Bronze Star. This dog had saved thousands of lives.

And now this dog was in my apartment in Washington, D.C. Just 72 hours earlier, I had traveled across the country to retrieve Dyngo from Luke Air Force Base in Phoenix, so he could live out his remaining years with me in civilian retirement.

My morning at the base had been a blur. It included a trip to the notary to sign a covenant-not-to-sue (the legal contract in which I accepted responsibility for this combat-ready dog for all eternity), a veterinarian visit for the sign-off on Dyngo’s air travel and tearful goodbyes with the kennel’s handlers. Then, suddenly, I had a dog.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/story-dyngo-war-dog-home-combat-180971003/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20181218-daily-responsive&spMailingID=38008049&spUserID=NzQwNDU0MzA0MTUS1&spJobID=1422043783&spReportId=MTQyMjA0Mzc4MwS2

5 replies, 511 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The story of Dyngo - a war dog brought home from combat (Original post)
Ohiogal Dec 2018 OP
TEB Dec 2018 #1
ploppy Dec 2018 #2
TomSlick Dec 2018 #3
douglas9 Dec 2018 #4
tblue37 Dec 2018 #5

Response to Ohiogal (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2018, 10:14 AM

1. What a warrior

I’d serve with dyngo

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2018, 01:46 PM

2. What a beautiful story!

Thank you so much for posting this.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2018, 07:34 PM

3. Great story.

I'm glad this old soldier found a good home.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2018, 08:40 AM

4. Dyngo The War Dog Is Having Trouble, And We Could Use a Little Help

The morning after Thanksgiving, my dog, Dyngo, was having trouble walking. He’s a strong, happy dog, so with some coaxing, he managed a walk outside. By that evening, he couldn’t stand, laying with his eyes closed, crying — something he never does. I sat on the floor stroking his large head, crying too because I thought he might be dying.

We made it to the emergency animal hospital and, after a host of tests, were given relatively good news: Dyngo had a large, infected abscess in his right leg above his elbow joint. The infection would resolve with antibiotics and the abscess could be removed. Surgery was scheduled for the following week, and we brought Dyngo home. But the next day, his leg swelled three times its normal size, the abscess opened, and we rushed back to the hospital for emergency surgery.

>snip

This week Kitts started a GoFundMe Campaign to help pay for Dyngo’s medical care. Every little bit will help Dyngo—whether it’s small or large donations or helping to spread the word. It is kindness and generosity for which we are eternally grateful.

https://taskandpurpose.com/dyngo-war-dog-gofundme/

Reply to this post

Response to douglas9 (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 23, 2018, 09:34 AM

5. One of the comments has info about a fund that also helps with War dog get bills:

Rebecca,
Please contact Spike K9 Fund, it is set up specifically for helping with retired Military & Police Working Dogs. They helped me hugely with our dog, the bills were running into 10k, but I though we owed it to the dog and so does the founder of the fund. Please contact them, they are good people. And if people are looking for a group to donate too for MWD/MPCs, this is the place to send money too. Tom, if she doesn't look at this, can you please send her the info? Thank you.

Spikes K9 Fund (Federal Tax ID # 47-2144242)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread