HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Home & Family » Pets (Group) » A Vaccine For Cat Allergi...

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 08:29 PM

A Vaccine For Cat Allergies: Here Is The Latest

Source: Forbes

Aug 17, 2019, 10:40am

A Vaccine For Cat Allergies: Here Is The Latest

Bruce Y. Lee Senior Contributor
Healthcare

Hey, cats. You know how about 10% of the humans in the U.S. start coughing, wheezing, sneezing, and getting rashes and stuffy noses around you? Well, it's not them. It's you. They are allergic to you.

This problem has motivated HypoPet AG, a Swiss-based company, to develop the HypoCat vaccine for that. But the vaccine isn't for them. It's for you.

Most often, the problem isn't exactly you. It's actually Fel d 1. No, Fel d 1 is not something on World of Warcraft. That would be a Fel Mint Green paint vial. And it is not a musical act. That would be Adele or Bell Biv DeVoe. Fel d 1 is a protein in your saliva and skin secretions that frequently generates the allergic reaction in humans.

What makes matters worse is that you have this problem licked. Maybe it's the lack of hair gel and a brush, but you seem to lick yourself quite often. This licking then spreads Fel d 1 all over your fur. Then, when you shed your fur, you effectively spread this protein everywhere you go. That's what can make it so difficult for some humans to be around you.

I know, I know, you may not want humans around you. After all, they may dress you up like a sailor or watch you while you pee. But many humans do like being around you, even if you may be plotting their demise.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2019/08/17/a-vaccine-for-cat-allergies-here-is-the-latest/

Related: Immunization of cats to induce neutralizing antibodies against Fel d 1, the major feline allergen in human subjects (Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology)

3 replies, 480 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Vaccine For Cat Allergies: Here Is The Latest (Original post)
Eugene Aug 2019 OP
applegrove Aug 2019 #1
japple Aug 2019 #2
applegrove Aug 2019 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 08:34 PM

1. Too late. Could have used that when i was allergic to my cat as a teen.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to applegrove (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 09:23 PM

2. Never too late. Save a life, adopt a cat from your local shelter today.

The life you save may be your new BFF!

Reply to this post

Response to japple (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 09:39 PM

3. Oh i have two. I meant i was no longer allergic. I've only been without a cat in my late twenties

early 30s. Even when i was allergic i would still put my face into their fuzzy fur no matter how much my nose ran and my eyes ran. No matter how red my face got. But i got over it in my 20s. I developed it in my teens. It was never dangerous as allergies go. Yes fur babies are the best.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread