HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » ATF issues letter about u...

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:36 PM

ATF issues letter about use of shouldering an AR pistol

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2014/04/03/atf-responds-to-question-about-shouldering-an-ar-pistol/?repeat=w3tc

Sig Sauer just shared a letter sent to a police department from the ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch concerning the use of arm braces that referenced Sig’s own SB15 pistol stabilizing brace for AR pistols specifically. The ATF’s letter says that they’ve determined that firing a pistol from the shoulder would not cause the pistol to be reclassified as an SBR.

The letter, signed by the Chief of the ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch, Earl Griffith, states, “the firing of a weapon from a particular position, such as placing the receiver extension of an AR-15 type pistol on the user’s shoulder, does not change the classification of a weapon.”

“Further,” wrote Griffith, “certain firearm accessories such as the SIG Stability Brace have not been classified by FTB as shoulder stocks and, therefore, using the brace improperly does not constitute a design change.”

This clears up any doubts that firing an AR pistol using the distinctly buttstock-looking SB15 could get you in trouble, even if fired while shouldered.

9 replies, 2300 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply ATF issues letter about use of shouldering an AR pistol (Original post)
Jgarrick Apr 2014 OP
ileus Apr 2014 #1
SQUEE Apr 2014 #2
ileus Apr 2014 #8
Nuclear Unicorn Apr 2014 #3
Jgarrick Apr 2014 #4
SQUEE Apr 2014 #5
NYC_SKP Apr 2014 #6
Nuclear Unicorn Apr 2014 #7
sarisataka Apr 2014 #9

Response to Jgarrick (Original post)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 05:14 AM

1. I looked at one of these a few weeks back

A little spendy but I come real close to buying one just to have. I'd do an AR pistol build then...can't remember the price but it was above 120.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ileus (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 07:19 AM

2. to me...

This again just points out the silly, arbitrary and down right ignorant nature of the NF system.
I have built at least 4 AR and 2 AK pistols, as test beds, and "place holders" as i wait the hideously long, and completely unnecessary 6-11 months for a tax stamp to process. It also is another way sensible gun owners get screwed by other legal, but self centered owners. The recent 5.45 ammo fiasco is a case in point. We as Americans love "loopholes" and tightrope walking, and give us an envelope... we will push it. To our own detriment as well as others.

Reply to this post

Response to SQUEE (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 07:37 PM

8. The director of our dept had a 8 month wait on a 22 can.

I wish it was once you've applied and been approved you could pay out 200 bucks for each additional item without the wait.

Reply to this post

Response to Jgarrick (Original post)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 08:10 AM

3. How can that thing be practical in any situation that wasn't highly controlled, i.e. at a range?

Y'all know I am NOT the end-all, be-all firearms technical expert but that thing looks cumbersome and time-consuming to put on and even more so to remove. What if you're in a situation where you need to use a weapon and then suddenly need to do something else -- like have a beer or something? It seems the brace would oly slow down your ability to transition.

Reply to this post

Response to Nuclear Unicorn (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 08:33 AM

4. Until the ATF issued this letter, it was strictly a range toy.

Now that they've approved using it as a shoulder stock with an AR pistol, it is practical...if not quite as ergonomic as a "real" shoulder stock.

Reply to this post

Response to Jgarrick (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 08:55 AM

5. I say it's a trap.

once it is usual, or common practice to shoulder, bam, ban it and prosecute for Federal weapons violation or tax evasion...
ATF, Always Think Forfiture.

Reply to this post

Response to Nuclear Unicorn (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 09:45 AM

6. I can imagine it's being useful for certain disabilities, like having one weak arm...

But at first I pictured someone with TWO of them, one on each arm.

Reloading would be interesting, but what a bad-ass looking robocop tranformer thing to do!

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 09:55 AM

7. "I can imagine it's being useful for certain disabilities, like having one weak arm..."

Please don't ask how I know this movie exists.

Reply to this post

Response to Nuclear Unicorn (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 07:58 PM

9. Holy Bovine

I thought my brother was the only person insane enough to buy that movie

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread