HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Rep. Jackie Speier calls ...

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 09:16 AM

Rep. Jackie Speier calls for ban on import of assault weapons in wake of Leland Yee arrest

http://www.sfexaminer.com/PoliticsBlog/archives/2014/04/02/jackie-speier-calls-for-ban-on-import-of-assault-weapons-in-wake-of-leland-yee-arrest

Rep. Jackie Speier, a Peninsula Democrat, called on President Barack Obama on Wednesday to ban the import of assault weapons following last week’s high-profile arrest of state Sen. Leland Yee on gun-trafficking charges.

“This FBI investigation of Leland Yee reveals how easy it is to import lethal assault weapons that were previously banned,” Speier said in a statement. “This case should be a warning to us all that even the most trusted appearing among us are ready to do real harm. Since Congress can pass no meaningful gun-control laws, even after the mass killing in Newtown, President Obama should use his pen to slow the import of these weapons, which have no place in our homes.”

Speier, D-Hillsborough, who held Yee’s Senate seat before the suspended state lawmaker was elected in 2006, has long been an outspoken advocate for gun control. She is the sponsor of the federal Gun Transparency and Accountability Act of 2013 and the Child Handgun Safety Act of 2013, and co-sponsor of the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013.

Dave Workman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms called Speier’s statement “ironic” because it comes on the heels of Yee’s March 26 arrest on suspicion of conspiring to traffic in firearms, along with the arrest of 25 other defendants on gun-trafficking and other charges related to a yearslong undercover FBI investigation. “I don’t see any reason for someone to propose a ban on perfectly legal firearms coming into the country where law-abiding citizens would be able to purchase and own those firearms for hunting, competition or for any number of good reasons,” Workman said.

15 replies, 2084 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rep. Jackie Speier calls for ban on import of assault weapons in wake of Leland Yee arrest (Original post)
Jgarrick Apr 2014 OP
clffrdjk Apr 2014 #1
gejohnston Apr 2014 #2
Duckhunter935 Apr 2014 #3
Jgarrick Apr 2014 #4
Eleanors38 Apr 2014 #5
blueridge3210 Apr 2014 #6
ileus Apr 2014 #7
petronius Apr 2014 #8
beevul Apr 2014 #9
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 2014 #11
DonP Apr 2014 #12
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 2014 #14
sarisataka Apr 2014 #10
Lurks Often Apr 2014 #13
Jgarrick Apr 2014 #15

Response to Jgarrick (Original post)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 09:54 AM

1. Lol

Gun grabbing official caught bringing in illegal weapons. The grabber response, we need to make more things illegal!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:05 AM

2. Is she dishonest hoping the public is stupid, or is she just stupid?

I honestly think it is the former. Nobody can be that stupid.
“This FBI investigation of Leland Yee reveals how easy it is to import lethal assault weapons that were previously banned,”
Yee was charged with conspiring to import firearms and destructive devices without a license, which doesn't matter since these guns were not "assault weapons" covered on the GHWB import ban.

“This case should be a warning to us all that even the most trusted appearing among us are ready to do real harm. Since Congress can pass no meaningful gun-control laws, even after the mass killing in Newtown, President Obama should use his pen to slow the import of these weapons, which have no place in our homes.”
So the National Firearms Act, different import laws, the Gun Control Act are not enough to stop mobsters from smuggling in machine guns and RPGs that they bought from a terrorist group like MILF?

Does she also think there needs to be more laws against murder since one of Yee's consultants, former school board president Kieth Jackson, is charged with trying to hire a hit man?

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:21 AM

3. I agree wuith the former

She is just hoping people are stupid and will just support any legislation that says guns are bad ban more. She should be calling for max penalty for her gun grabbing friend that seems to have been caught as a hypocrite trying to illegally smuggle in weapons and missiles. Lets do something different, PUT THE CRIMINAL IN JAIL if he is found guilty.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:23 AM

4. They're not mutually exclusive.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:29 AM

5. Pass a law to keep us from you, Yee of such meager trust.

Reply to this post

Response to Eleanors38 (Reply #5)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:42 AM

6. *snort* (NT)

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 11:01 AM

7. Legal items should be easy to import.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

8. I would call that a very illogical and tone-deaf pronouncement

Yee was prevented from (allegedly) attempting to do something that's already illegal - by what process of logic does that suggest a need for more restrictions and laws on anything (except perhaps on political corruption)?

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 02:32 PM

9. Apparently Rep. Jackie Speier has not read the arrest affidavid...

Apparently Rep. Jackie Speier has not read the arrest affidavid.

Or maybe she has:

Keith Jackson asked uce 4599"you know what you want, right?" Uce 4599 told Senator yee and Keith Jackson he wanted any type of shoulder fired weapons or missiles. Senator Yee asked uce 4599 if he wanted "automatic weapons" as opposed to semi-automatic weapons. Uce 4599 confirmed with Senator Yee that he wanted automatic weapons.

http://www.sfgate.com/file/757/757-complaint_affidavit_14-70421-nc.pdf

Conflating automatic weapons with semi-automatic weapons, is what Rep. Jackie Speier is doing.

It seems Yee did publicly did the same thing, but privately knew the difference.

Food for thought.

Reply to this post

Response to beevul (Reply #9)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 03:06 PM

11. I somewhat remember a poll...

...the first question was a yes/no, are you in favor of Nazism?

The second question...

Could you please define Nazism?

The whole idea was to demonstrate the pointlessness of debating any principles or concepts with individuals having no grasp of the technicalities of the subject. I've discussed gun-control matters requiring only a basic knowledge of guns and numerous times had one or another pro-control folks demonstrate their lack of understanding. It's a bit disheartening.

Reply to this post

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #11)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 05:08 PM

12. A "lack of technical understanding" I could kinda understand

But many/most are terribly proud of their ignorance of the subject matter and treat any questions of their current understanding of either the existing laws or the actual inanimate objects they want to "control" as if we were the stupid ones.

I was stunned at the number of ignorant people (including several family members) that have no idea that there already is a Federal and State level background check in place. Or that they don't sell "machine gun kits" at the gun shows. I've actually seen them first hand in a local Gun Shop walking in and trying to buy a gun with out an Illinois FOID card or being pissed that they were going to run a NICS check on them, as if they don't trust them.

My favorite is the host of a local "safe haven" group that told me in GD that; "I have no idea what a 4473 is, what is on it or how it is used and don't care to learn if it has anything to do with guns". And they wonder why they can't get anything passed.

Reply to this post

Response to DonP (Reply #12)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 06:55 PM

14. IMHO...

We're all on the same side, but some of us oppose others on certain issues. It seems to me have those that are against something like "selling machine gun kits" and being unable to articulate what a "machine gun kit" is could be a problem for us all.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 03:05 PM

10. Freudian slip?

Is Rep. Speier trying to warn about those promoting draconian gun control
This case should be a warning to us all that even the most trusted appearing among us are ready to do real harm.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 06:33 PM

13. So let's make it more illegal then it already is?

Is double illegal enough or should we go all out and demand it be triply illegal to import firearms and rocket launchers that it was already illegal for anybody but the government (in all it's forms) to import?

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #13)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 07:39 PM

15. Yes! That is the answer!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread