HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » National Security & Defense (Group) » Al Qaeda operative gets l...

Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:35 PM

Al Qaeda operative gets life sentence for killing soldiers, bomb plot

Source: Reuters

U.S. FEBRUARY 16, 2018 / 1:10 PM / UPDATED 9 HOURS AGO

Al Qaeda operative gets life sentence for killing soldiers, bomb plot

Brendan Pierson
3 MIN READ

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man convicted of participating in a 2003 attack on American soldiers in Afghanistan that killed two people and plotting to bomb a U.S. embassy in West Africa was sentenced to life in prison on Friday.

Ibrahim Suleiman Adnan Adam Harun, who is known by the nom de guerre Spin Ghul, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan in Brooklyn.

Harun refused to attend his sentencing hearing, as he had previously refused to attend his trial. A audio and video link was set up between Harun’s jail cell and the courtroom, but he was never visible on it and did not address the court.

Since his extradition from Italy in October 2012, Harun has insisted he is a “warrior” who should face a military tribunal rather than criminal proceedings. Cogan said that Harun had told U.S. marshals Friday morning, “This is not my court. That is not my judge.”

Harun was found guilty in March 2017 of taking part in an April 2003 assault by al Qaeda in Afghanistan that killed Army Private 1st Class Jerod Dennis, 19, and Air Force Airman 1st Class Raymond Losano, 24. He was also found guilty of plotting to bomb the U.S. embassy in Nigeria.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-security-alqaeda/al-qaeda-operative-gets-life-sentence-for-killing-soldiers-bomb-plot-idUSKCN1G022K

1 replies, 313 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Al Qaeda operative gets life sentence for killing soldiers, bomb plot (Original post)
Eugene Feb 2018 OP
BigmanPigman Feb 2018 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:50 PM

1. Finally some "justice" for a crime is in the news.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread