HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » National Security & Defense (Group) » Deportation document desc...

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 04:16 AM

Deportation document described immigrant activists protests

Source: Associated Press

Deportation document described immigrant activist’s protests

By GENE JOHNSON
Today

SEATTLE (AP) — An immigrant rights advocate targeted for deportation first came to the attention of authorities because she discussed her unlawful status in the country in an interview with a monthly newspaper last year, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement official wrote in a newly released document.

But the official, Timothy Black, also noted her “extensive involvement with anti-ICE protests and Latino advocacy programs” — something her supporters said proves she was targeted for political reasons.

“I’m being put in deportation proceedings because of my political stance, because of my media presence, because I’ve utilized my freedom of speech,” the activist, Maru Mora-Villalpando, told reporters during a conference call Monday. “This is a pattern of behavior which ICE is developing now under this administration.”

Maru Mora-Villalpando, a 47-year-old Mexico City native and activist supporting immigrants who are detained at the privately run Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, has no criminal record. She has been in the U.S. continuously since 1996 after overstaying a visa.

-snip-

Read more: https://apnews.com/ec59e1c1780146cb9d3b96b669bb0926/Deportation-document-described-immigrant-activist's-protests

1 replies, 411 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Deportation document described immigrant activists protests (Original post)
Eugene Feb 2018 OP
Abu Pepe Feb 2018 #1

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Tue Feb 27, 2018, 04:51 AM

1. First they came for the immigrant activists

Next there will be massive Gestapo like raids rounding up whole neighborhoods. Then, what they have planned all along, deporting the DREAmers. It will be ethnic cleansing, hopefully without concentration camps and mass murder. But make no mistake they will begin a forced movement of people from their homes and to holding camps as they begin deportation.

It will be a top tier crime against humanity

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread