HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Russell Wilson Agrees to ...

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:46 PM

Russell Wilson Agrees to Contract Extension With Seahawks, Becomes Highest-Paid Player in NFL

Russell Wilson and the Seahawks have agreed on a contract extension that will keep the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback in Seattle for four more years.

?s=20

Wilson said he would not sign a deal after his self-imposed deadline of April 15. ESPNís Adam Schefter reports that Wilson will sign a record-setting four-year, $140 million contract extension, which includes a $65 million signing bonus.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers agreed to a four-year, $134 million extension in August 2018, that topped Matt Ryan's five-year, $150 million deal with the Falcons as the highest-paying annual deal in the NFL. Wilson will earn $19 million in 2019 as he plays out the final year of the four-year, $87.6 million deal he agreed to in July 2015 and then start making an NFL record $35 million annually in his new deal starting in 2020.

Wilson, who helped the Seahawks win Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014, is now under contract with the team through the 2023 season. The 30-year-old has started every game of his career and the Seahawks have gone 75-36-1 in those contests.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/russell-wilson-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-seahawks-becomes-highest-paid-player-in-nfl/ar-BBVZa08

As a season ticket holder I have mixed feelings on this. Clearly I didn't want to see Russ go to another team. Still unclear is how his contract may create salary cap problems for the Seahawks.

7 replies, 735 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Russell Wilson Agrees to Contract Extension With Seahawks, Becomes Highest-Paid Player in NFL (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 2019 OP
mr_lebowski Apr 2019 #1
samnsara Apr 2019 #2
customerserviceguy Apr 2019 #3
Brother Buzz Apr 2019 #4
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 2019 #6
Auggie Apr 2019 #5
LisaM Apr 2019 #7

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:57 PM

1. If it's any consolation, Hawks didn't really have much in the way of a serious option ...

Kinda had to pay the man.

To me it was that simple. Just as the Falcons did, Packers did, etc.

There's only so many franchise QB's in the world, can't let one get away when you have one. Look how long teams like the Vikings, Bears & Lions went without ... decades, literally. Vikings still don't have one, IMHO.

My Raiders, too. That's why we had to pay Derek ... though his deal is looking pretty reasonable right about now.

It could hurt, cap-wise, but ... it's just too difficult to get anywhere without a stud at QB, esp. in today's game.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 01:59 PM

2. just think of all those years he got about 600K..

... Glad hes getting a raise..He deserves it..

Reply to this post

Response to samnsara (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 16, 2019, 02:28 PM

3. Yes, he was certainly a bargain for all those years

And he is constantly giving to the community. I'm sure not all of that money will stay in his pocket.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 17, 2019, 11:36 AM

4. My magic 8 Ball says...

He won't be the highest-paid player in the NFL for long.

What big name football players are coming up for contract renewal this season? Egos and a buyers vs sellers market, and all that. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at the negotiation tables.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 17, 2019, 12:58 PM

6. I think you may be proven right sooner than you think.

They're already talking about paying Patrick Mahomes more. He's eligible for an extension after this coming season.

Mahomes is good but Wilson has won a Super Bowl and been to another.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 17, 2019, 11:51 AM

5. That is one weird way to make an announcement

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 24, 2019, 01:26 AM

7. No kidding.

I heard it on the radio and I thought it was satire! But, no.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread