HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Automobile Enthusiasts (Group) » The newest electric vehic...

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 05:32 AM

The newest electric vehicles with the most range

10 EVs for 2020 that will take you farther

The electric vehicle market sure is heating up these days. With new entrants coming into the fray every few months, it’s getting harder to keep track of all of the battery-powered electric vehicles offered today.

Because range is a huge consideration for any electric vehicle, we’ve rounded up the 10 EVs that you can buy new today that offer the most range between charges. As of this writing, each vehicle on this list is eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit plus whatever your state and local governments offer, which can make a significant dent in the purchase price.

For this list, we’re leaning on Environmental Protection Agency range ratings from fueleconomy.gov. While there are some much-hyped new EVs on the horizon — such as the Porsche Taycan, the Mercedes-Benz EQC and the Rivian R1T and R1S — that will likely place on this list in the future, they haven’t been rated by the EPA yet.

2020 Tesla Model S: 370 miles
While many electric vehicles have entered the fray since it first arrived in 2012, the Tesla Model S is still the range king. Tesla TSLA, +0.85% produces two versions of the Model S — perhaps unsurprisingly, the Long Range model offers the longest range, with 370 miles of possible range between charges. The Performance model, which offers an insane 0-to-60 mph time of 2.4 seconds, tops out at about 345 miles. All-new Model S vehicles come with all-wheel drive and an adaptive air suspension. Another of the vehicle’s most noteworthy features is its huge 17-in center screen, which acts as the vehicle’s command center and offers full web-browsing capabilities. (We absolutely do not recommend using this feature while driving.) A Model S Long Range starts around $80,000, while the Performance trim starts around $100,000.

2020 Tesla Model X — 325 miles
Basically an SUV version of the Model S, the bigger, heavier Model X doesn’t range quite as far as its sedan-bodied sibling. In the Long Range guise, the Model X can go about 325 between charges, and its 0-to-60 mph time is about 4.4 seconds. The Performance model’s range is about 305 miles, and it goes from 0-to-60 mph in about 2.7 seconds. Just like the Performance trim of the Model S, the Model X comes with Tesla’s Ludicrous Mode acceleration boost and sporty exterior styling elements. All Model X vehicles come with AWD drive and Tesla’s novel Falcon Wing doors, and they seat as many as seven people. Pricing starts at $85,000 for a Long Range model and $105,000 for a Performance trim — and climbs quickly once you start adding options.

More: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-newest-electric-vehicles-with-the-most-range-2019-10-17?mod=autos

The Tesla Model X has a range of 325 miles.

2019 Kia Niro EV — 239 miles

5 replies, 330 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The newest electric vehicles with the most range (Original post)
Rhiannon12866 Oct 18 OP
Sherman A1 Oct 18 #1
Rhiannon12866 Oct 18 #2
Sherman A1 Oct 18 #3
Rhiannon12866 Oct 18 #4
Lulu KC Oct 21 #5

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 06:20 AM

1. I am hoping my next one is electric

for around town, when I replace my 08 Yaris, but as it mostly sits in the driveway getting about 5K miles per year it may be a very long time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 06:35 AM

2. Me, too - if there is a next one!

I was hoping that the price would come down a bit before I needed to get another car - but my 2001 Pontiac (which was running just fine) finally wouldn't pass inspection because of the rust from the road salt. That always seems to happen here. And since they don't make Pontiacs anymore, I got the closest thing I could, a midsize Chevy from the same dealership - which I'll probably have for the next 16 years...

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 06:41 AM

3. Road salt is the bane of vehicles

Wish there was another less corrosive method of making the roads passable.

Hope you find a good vehicle when you shop.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:09 AM

4. I hoped to get a EV the next time I was forced to get a car

Which I really didn't want to do since I loved my Pontiac. The main issues I had all those years were tires and windshield wipers! But I finally couldn't get it to pass inspection - and my dealership had done what they could. So I decided on a year-old Chevy Malibu that they had with very low mileage, same size and handles much the same except it's taken me awhile to figure out all the new bells and whistles!

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Original post)

Mon Oct 21, 2019, 07:32 PM

5. Once you've had one

You’ll wonder how you lived without it. My little 2015 LEAF is a joy. If you’re on the edge, take the leap!

I don’t care about range much, since I drive about 100-150 miles/ week, and I plug it into a 110 outlet. So easy.

And the used ones are incredibly inexpensive, often returned from leases, and maintained well.

Mine costs about 2.5 cents in energy/mile, compared to 6 cents for our Prius. The other maintenance is tires, windshield wiper blades, and ??

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread