HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Birders (Group) » Thought other birders mig...

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 03:59 PM

Thought other birders might be interested, beavers have moved into my creek

After 25 years my intermittent creek now has beavers. I have never seen them in the area and I grew up here.

?s=20

5 replies, 695 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Thought other birders might be interested, beavers have moved into my creek (Original post)
5X Feb 2021 OP
GusBob Feb 2021 #1
mbusby Feb 2021 #2
MuseRider Feb 2021 #3
5X Feb 2021 #4
MuseRider Feb 2021 #5

Response to 5X (Original post)

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 04:07 PM

1. We are haunted by beavers up here

They are overrunning the county park and knocking down the few big trees we have along parts of the creek bottom
Good for ducks and geese but bad for the habitat overall
There was a trapper fella but he got old and retired and folks opposed to trapping put and end to it anyway

Itís a catch 22 controversy, plus the are moving out of the park and causing crop damage and problems for livestock

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 04:23 PM

2. Well...

...leave it to beavers.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 04:52 PM

3. Good luck!

I was so excited when I saw those cartoon like hour glass cuttings around the trunks of trees in my woods. Then I saw the beavers. They were huge! Then the lodge was built and it was all cool, especially because I have a lot of water snakes and they loved to hang out on the top of the lodge. Then there were the trails sliding down from the top of the dam into the other pond that is just a little way away, 20 feet maybe. Then came the tunnels into the little pond from the big pond and we were looking at a possible dam break. Then again from the other side into a low area from tunnels. We finally found an organization that would trap them and take them to a place close by on the river and close to a lot of other ponds where they were welcomed. Thank goodness for that because I was not going to let anyone shoot them or trap them underwater just to save their fur for selling. It took 2 summers and we got 8 of them, BIG suckers they are. One was estimated at around 80 pounds. I just spotted a beaver the other evening going across the pond. We are now on high lookout. It is not cheap to trap them like that but they cannot live here, I do not want my house or my pastures flooded and then lose the ponds. They are awesome creatures. I hope you are able to keep them around. I sure wish I could, I loved watching them swim across the pond in the evenings. BTW, ducks often like to nest on the lodges or the beaver dams.

*in advance an apology, I looked and did not see this but forever I am spelling it damn so if I did sorry I think I got them all.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 05:01 PM

4. I helped relocate a couple of beavers from the Denver area 30 years ago.

We moved them up into the mountains to a wildlife area. The county was going to kill them.
They have since studied the ecology of beavers and found they are beneficial is some landscapes.
I have let mine go wild for 25 years and it is overgrown and choked. They should be good for other
wildlife in my case.

Reply to this post

Response to 5X (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 5, 2021, 05:09 PM

5. Perfect!

Enjoy them. I find them fascinating.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread