HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Birders (Group) » Bird lovers are grappling...

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 11:08 AM

Bird lovers are grappling with honorary names linked to racists. Audubon tops the list.

When she joined Georgia Audubon last year, the group’s executive director called her hiring a first step to “begin working to break down barriers” so that people from all communities can fully enjoy birding and the outdoors.

But overcoming those barriers will be daunting. As with the wider field of conservation, racism and colonialism are in ornithology’s DNA, indelibly linked to its origin story. The challenge of how to move forward is roiling White ornithologists as they debate whether to change as many as 150 eponyms, names of birds that honor people with connections to slavery and supremacy.

The Bachman’s sparrow, Wallace’s fruit dove and other winged creatures bear the names of men who fought for the Southern cause, stole skulls from Indian graves for pseudoscientific studies that were later debunked, and bought and sold Black people. Some of these men stoked violence and participated in it without consequence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/bird-names-racism-audubon/

3 replies, 554 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bird lovers are grappling with honorary names linked to racists. Audubon tops the list. (Original post)
douglas9 Jun 2021 OP
Binkie The Clown Jun 2021 #1
Polly Hennessey Jun 2021 #2
elleng Jun 2021 #3

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 11:17 AM

1. Let us hope the future does not judge us as harshly as we judge the past.

We have no idea which social norms we all take for granted today will be condemned for one reason or another in the future. The past is over and done. Let it be. Especially since one would have to do a significant amount of digging and research to even discover the connection with those names. I was an active Audubon member for years, and it never occurred to me to go searching for trouble. I was too busy searching or birds.Let's get real, folks. The right has enough ammunition as it is. Let's not make it easier for them to mock us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 11:52 AM

2. Thank you, Binkie.

The past existed. Changing names will not alter that. Instead of naming everything after flawed humans try something different.

Reply to this post

Response to Binkie The Clown (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 4, 2021, 01:37 PM

3. Thanks, and THIS is

'Ellen's' osprey:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread