HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Birders (Group) » I saw the Northern Lapwin...

Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:32 PM

I saw the Northern Lapwing March 9

at Concord Methodist Church, Roxboro NC--only because my sister is an avid birder and she told me I am a novice at it.

The Lapwing is a European shore bird species--was thought to have been blown off course by hurricane Sandy as it was flying from Scandanavia to Northern Africa. There was also one in GA and NJ. (There have only ever been 2 others sighted in NC). This Lapwing was sighted by an experienced birder in mid-February and people were coming daily. We could not get close--there was a wide fenced field around the pond where the lapwing was hanging out with a group of killdeer, it's cousins. We imagined the smaller killdeer thought that funky Cousin Bozo had arrived. He really stuck out and appeared to be on the fringes. There were birders that day who had driven from Richmond VA, Tennessee, Washington DC, and we heard that someone had come earlier from Colorado. Good thing others were there, because their scopes were better than ours. So we did get to observe the Lapwing for about three hours that morning. It was a beautiful day, cold but blue skies and perfect birding weather. My sister went back in the afternoon and saw it again until a big marsh hawk came along and pretty much terrorized the pond. According to the carolina birds network, the Lapwing was never seen again after being there daily for a month after March 9. So we just made it before departure.

This is what we ACTUALLY saw:

Here's another account with a good picture of what we saw:
http://ncbigyear13.blogspot.com/2013/02/day-55.html

------------------------------------

This is what it looks like close up (cute!):

1 replies, 1537 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply I saw the Northern Lapwing March 9 (Original post)
marions ghost Mar 2013 OP
dbackjon Jun 2013 #1

Response to marions ghost (Original post)

Mon Jun 3, 2013, 11:29 AM

1. BEautiful bird!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread