HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Some late Easter eggs

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 02:02 PM

Some late Easter eggs

Last edited Fri Apr 26, 2019, 03:35 PM - Edit history (2)

https://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/collection_object_details/collection_image_gallery.aspx?partid=1&assetid=594583001&objectid=1576109

The British Museum has some excellent collections of art. This is from the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary. A collection of 45 illos that illustrate the poem.

Here are the Easter eggs:

This is at the top, right under the crown. This face appears in many of the illustrations.

Who is that fellow in the magic mirror? Could that be the Holy Ghost?

Who is the guy being chewed on by the top lion? I accented the demon chewing on the other lion.

That's a charming image.

Here I may be seeing things. That looks like a serpent with a ridged head.

Another Image

I missed this one in the first post. What kind of creature is that? Is it mentioned in the Bible?
What's more interesting, to my imagination, is that bit of woodwork on the right. It appears to be a leaf, but if you imagine you are eating toast, you can see the profile of a goat-like face.

2 replies, 590 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Some late Easter eggs (Original post)
Cartoonist Apr 2019 OP
cyclonefence Apr 2019 #1
Andrewgupta May 2019 #2

Response to Cartoonist (Original post)

Thu Apr 25, 2019, 02:29 PM

1. Thank you!

Because of the labor involved in creating these (etchings?) I have to believe that every single element is intentional. What a wonderful image, and thank you for pointing out some of the odd details.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cartoonist (Original post)

Reply to this thread